Why do blocked calls go to voicemail?
merkk
Enthusiast - Level 1

If i have blocked a number, it means i don't want any calls or txts from them. Pretty much every single number i have blocked is just a spammer. I dont need them going to voicemail. I'd prefer if i could send them all to the deepest pits, but failing that, sending them nowhere would be a 2nd choice.

Even more so since verizon charges extra for more voicemail space - which seems a bit silly considering voicemails take up an insignificant amount of storage space.

Anyhow, is there any way to truly completely block a number? I don't want to get calls, txts or voicemails from them. I don't even want to see a popup or anything on my phone telling me a call was blocked.

Re: Why do blocked calls go to voicemail?
merkk
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found a post asking this same question from 2 years ago and it appears not much has changed. I can directly block a number using the myverizon website. But I can only block FIVE numbers?!?! And they expire after 90 days? Or I can pay a fee so i can block 20 numbers?

No offense, but that's pretty cruddy given the volume of spam calls i get. Why do i have to pay verizon NOT to use their service? I wonder what the response would be if gmail suddenly decided to start charging people to filter out spam emails?

This seriously annoys me. We get annoyed by spam phone calls non-stop, and now verizon wants me to pay just to be able to block 20 numbers? Which isn't nearly enough and is annoying to do it to begin with since i have go back and forth in my call history to copy the numbers...and then copy them all over again 90 days later.

Verizon charging money to help block spam calls really just feels like rubbing salt into a wound.

Verizon customers (and every other person on the planet with a phone) are being attacked by spammers and scammers, and rather then just helping their customers, verizon has decided to take advantage of the situation to get a few more dollars out of their customers.

I signed up with verizon because they supposedly had the best coverage. But it's stuff like that that has me convinced I'll be switching to someone else once my phone is paid off.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

merkk, we want to ensure you have the details when it comes to call blocking services. I welcome the opportunity to address your voicemail spam block inquiry. At present, the spam controls we have in place are working as designed. This means if you have voicemail set up, any call (including a blocked one) will be redirected directly to voicemail. We utilize 2 different voicemail vendors to house messages for our customers and as spam calls have become a nuisance we are working with making updates as needed. Those updates will require upgrades to be performed by our vendors in order to work properly for our network. The $5 SmartFamily Service does offer call blocking services for numbers that you know and wish to block but that's only one of many features that service provides. We do provide all of our customers with Call Filter service at no cost which will block spam calls as they arrive. You'll find more details on our Call Filter service here:  https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-filter-faqs/#what.

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I have had a call come in that was marked as spam and went straight to voice mail. Except it wasn’t spam, so I was glad there was a back up system that I could check in my own time. 

Just like spam email - still goes to your email in a folder. 

0 Likes
baily1946
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have blocked a number sucessfully,but she is blowing up and filling my voice mail,which have to delete,when full can't receive which could be a important message. Any help greatly appreciated. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

baily1946, I know that unwanted calls and voicemails can be a nuisance. Blocking a number will block incoming calls and text messages. What exact steps are you taking to block this number? Are you blocking the number within your device, or online through My Verizon? What kind of phone do you have?    EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
BlondeInTally
Enthusiast - Level 1

@EricaG_VZ does it matter how the number was blocked? baily1946 was indicating that they blocked a number, but the person's calls go to voicemail and they are filling up the mailbox with unwanted messages. I am in the same situation. I don't want to get voicemail from my ex, or even know that he called. This could be a domestic violence issue. Why can't Verizon give the caller a message like "the number you have called is not available at this time"?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you can manage your voicemail. We're going to send you a Private Note so we can gather more details.

~Jesse

0 Likes