Why do people tell me they are getting calls from my number when I never called them?
4cars
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has happened twice in the last couple of weeks.  My call log shows no calls to thise numbers and I did not call those numbers, what is the problem, how is this happening?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Two people called me and said they received a call from my number but I never called them,
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

This "spoofing" of local numbers seems to be on the rise.  I haven't had people call me .complaining of receiving calls from me.  I HAVE been on the receiving end of local numbers calling me (same area code, and  same Verizon prefix as my number) and either no one is there or it's a scam, sales call, or a recording.  If I don't answer, no voicemail is left.  I don'.t bother to call the number back to complain - if it's a spoofed number , the person who's number it is has no idea it's being used.  No point in calling them.

I figure if someone really needs to talk to me they will call again or leave a message for me.  But I am seeing a definite increase in these numbers being local numbers.

View solution in original post

Re: Two people called me and said they received a call from my number but I never called them,
Weth
Legend

Someone is spoofing your number. This is usually unscrupulous cold sales calls. The scammers have figured out that someone is likely to answer a phone number that is local, so they are randomly choosing a phone number and calling similar numbers. It did not come from you, you cannot be charged for the calls, it has nothing to do with Verizon. They just trick the caller ID to send a different number than they have.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

This "spoofing" of local numbers seems to be on the rise.  I haven't had people call me .complaining of receiving calls from me.  I HAVE been on the receiving end of local numbers calling me (same area code, and  same Verizon prefix as my number) and either no one is there or it's a scam, sales call, or a recording.  If I don't answer, no voicemail is left.  I don'.t bother to call the number back to complain - if it's a spoofed number , the person who's number it is has no idea it's being used.  No point in calling them.

I figure if someone really needs to talk to me they will call again or leave a message for me.  But I am seeing a definite increase in these numbers being local numbers.

Re: Why do people tell me they are getting calls from my number when I never called them?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

While nobody has contacted me about scam calls supposedly originating from either my Verizon landline or cellular number, I have received calls on my landline with my own name and number showing up on the display.

Talk about creepy!

I've seen a pattern develop concerning scam callers as it pertains to calls received on my landline. More often than not,  these bogus calls will display the name of a town/city and state as the caller along with a telephone number. The name of the town/city and the state will appear something like this:

"Boston Massachusetts"

Now two things immediately jump out and practically scream Scam Call.

First: The Bell System companies...at&t, Verizon and others...will use capital letters for caller ID names. The use of lowercase letters would tend to suggest a cable provider or a VoIP provider.

Second: RBOCS will normally pass the name of the state that a call originates from as opposed to adding in the town/city. So, when my sister calls my landline from her cellular phone, the word "MASSACHUSETTS" appears on the display as opposed to "Boston Massachusetts".

Re: Why do people tell me they are getting calls from my number when I never called them?
cheshire07
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been happening to me in the last month.  People are calling me asking why I called them.  Of course I didn't, but they are understandably upset.  Also I am getting calls from people leaving no vm and when I call them back or text them, they tell me the same thing.

Does anyone have the same problem with a fix other than changing my phone number that I've had for a lifetime?

Thank you

mixedredbone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well this is annonying! I need them to fix it! It happens a lot with this verizon phone!!!!!! It's ridiculous!!!