Why has our coverage and signal strength decreased?
MELCON2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Where we live, we used to get three or four bars. Never had a problem and it's the ONLY reason we have stayed with Verizon. Now we get two bars if we are lucky. We often have calls dropped.

But since signal bars are subjective, I will switch to decibels.

-50 dBm is best signal strength while -120 dBm is a dead zone.

I chatted with Verizon, they said that my outdoor signal strength of -107 dBm was considered "in the middle" of the coverage range.

According to the Verizon chat person, the range is -80 dBm  to -140 dBm, which, at the very least,  doesn't seem accurate.

When I pointed this out, they said they would kick it up to some engineers who would get back to me.

I got a text asking me if my signal was bad inside or inside and outside. I responded.

The next day I got a text with a link to a generic video with a 19 year old(?) telling me to use HD voice and WiFi calling to help with the problem, or that I could buy a network extender.

So the logic here is that because Verizon's signal is horrible, Verizon will charge me $275 for a signal extender so that I can actually get the signal I am already paying for.

Gee, thanks.

I could get this type of service with any cellular carrier. Since Verizon is unlikely to increase the wattage of their signal or build a new tower, what's the point in staying with Verizon? Because I like the expensive service or the abuse of horrible customer service?

If you don't know how to find your signal strength, here's how:

Android: Settings > Systems > About Phone > Status > SIM status > Signal Strength.

Apple: Dial ⚹3001#12345#⚹ and hit the Call button to get into field test mode. tap LTE or 1xEV-DO or whatever appears first.

Labels (1)
Re: Why has our coverage and signal strength decreased?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MELCON2, We know the importance of having a wireless signal you can rely on; we're here to help. How far do you have to travel away from your home in order to receive a stronger signal (25 ft or one mile)?

Trinette_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JIM5512302
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have noticed the same problem since Verizon offered unlimited data.  I travel around the country and at numerous exact locations that used to have a good signal, the signal is now very weak.  The common thread I see is those now weak areas are near, but not in, high population areas.  I’m wondering if they purposely reduce signal strength in some locations. 

Jim

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JIM5512302, 

We want you to have the best experience with our network during your travels around the country. The signal you receive on your device can be impacted by a number of things, including increased network traffic in the area you're in. However, we're here to help determine what's going on. What are you experiencing on your device when you notice the lower signal? Please provide us with an example zip code where you're experiencing trouble. Since you're having trouble in multiple locations, we'd also like to look into your equipment. What model device do you have?

Shawnte_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KATAKR26
Enthusiast - Level 1

i totally understand   there myself

KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes