Why is VZW injecting a privacy killing perma-cookie into my web traffic?
Miirage

It appears that VZW is injecting a UID/UIDH into its web traffic that is acting as a perma-cookie to track clients for advertising and marketing purposes. What makes this really messed up, besides the obvious lack of disclosure going on, is that websites can use this UID maliciously to data mine even if I have "do not track" features turned on with my mobile browser. As this tracking takes place on the network level, I feel its grossly unfair that there's no way to turn this tracking off with Verizon. It is a blatant disregard for the privacy of mobile users, and furthermore it artificially uses up our mobile data allowance!

Mind explaining yourselves and why we have to pay more in data usage for YOU to collect data on US? Mind explaining how you care about consumer privacy when you engage in privacy snooping practices such as this?

Check yourselves here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8500131 or here http://lessonslearned.org/sniff

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is VZW injecting a privacy killing perma-cookie into my web traffic?
Not applicable

This is a customer to customer forum. You're not talking to Verizon. At any rate the answer to your question is $$$$$$$$

A_Woman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please read the discussion in the thread at the link below which explains the situation, how to test for it and links to complain to the FCC. It has been removed on some people's phones after complaining to the FCC.

Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austen...

0 Likes
Not applicable

A_Woman wrote:

Please read the discussion in the thread at the link below which explains the situation, how to test for it and links to complain to the FCC. It has been removed on some people's phones after complaining to the FCC.

Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austen...

I doubt Verizon has removed it from anyone's phone because they complained.

0 Likes
mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm still being tracked.  I still have no answer regarding how to opt out of it, or get out of the early termination fee and get a rebate for all the CDMA equipment I bought to use on Verizon's system.

Not applicable

If you're using the internet you have no privacy you are being tracked UID or not. If you are that worried stay of the internet and don't use cell phones or any phones for that matter.

0 Likes
mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Might I suggest, MrHelper, that you do a bit of research on the technical side of what is happening here before you make statements like this?  It is akin to someone telling you that if you don't want police tracking everywhere you go, never leave your house, or if you don't want people listening in on your phone calls, don't use the phone.  How's about the postal service keeping track of all of the mail sent to and from your home, whether you ordered it or not, then using that information to send a door to door salesman to sell you life insurance?  "Hello MrHelper, I see you're a 65 year old who uses this list of prescription drugs, pays child support, and is late on your car payment.  Can I sell you this life insurance that will obviously disallow heart related deaths, since we know that your third cousin on your father's side had a heart attack recently?"  Well, just don't use the US postal service. 

A_Woman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I choose to be proactive and complain not only to let Verizon know I am dissatisfied, but also to help inform others who may not be aware of how their wireless provider is selling them out. YMMV

Not applicable

A_Woman wrote:

I choose to be proactive and complain not only to let Verizon know I am dissatisfied, but also to help inform others who may not be aware of how their wireless provider is selling them out. YMMV

yes yes you're saving the world. I'm sure it's doing some good.

0 Likes
Not applicable

mikkibarry.esq wrote:

Might I suggest, MrHelper, that you do a bit of research on the technical side of what is happening here before you make statements like this?  

Your connection has an IP address. You think you can't be detected just from that?

0 Likes