Why is coverage unavailable in such a large area of central/southwest Texas?
JPM94
Enthusiast - Level 2

I make regular trips to Brownwood, Texas. It is a city of about 19,288 permanent residents (2010 census). There are approximately 38,000 residents of Brown County, and I have counted 14 total counties that have extremely limited coverage throughout central and southwest Texas. Brownwood is also home to Howard Payne University, with a student body of 1,189 (Fall 2017 enrollment). The area is also home to the Camp Bowie military reservation, and nearby Early, Texas. Early has a population of 2,762 permanent residents (2010 census). Camp Bowie has served more than 419,000 service members of the Texas Army National Guard and other local emergency and first responders since 2006. Camp Bowie usage averages almost 70,000 people a year. Texas Army National Guard’s Camp Bowie and Brownwood Grow Together - Brownwood News

With such a large amount of people that call Brownwood home, why does Verizon fail to serve the potential customers living in this area of Texas, as well as the 13 other counties in central and southwest Texas? Also, I'd like to ask why Verizon customers visiting Brownwood are left without the valuable service that we have paid for? Finally, what are Verizon's plans for this area? Will they ever take new and existing customer's needs here seriously?

Labels (1)
Re: Why is coverage unavailable in such a large area of central/southwest Texas?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the VZW coverage map indicate that there should be service at this location?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Why is coverage unavailable in such a large area of central/southwest Texas?
JPM94
Enthusiast - Level 2

No there isn't any coverage for this area. My questions and concerns are focused on why verizon has not covered this area, and if/when they plan on servicing this area.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There could be several reasons. They don't own the cellular frequencies for this service area. It isn't economically feasible to build new towers. It could be the local jurisdiction has restrictions on who is allowed to install towers and where. For example, I know of one location where the local telephone company has restricted all cell towers be owned by that company and will lease space on it to the cellular carriers. The leasing agreement may or may not be acceptable to one carrier or another. I know of another location where the local building commission restricts where the towers can be located and other aspects including the height and look of the tower.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

JPM94
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow I did not know that providing service could get so complicated. I guess that I will have to contact verizon directly to find out the exact reason why they have not covered Brownwood. Thank you for taking the time to provide these possible answers to my questions.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

After a little more research, it looks like there is a regional carrier that might own a majority of the frequencies in that area. Sprint or AT&T appear to also cover the area either natively or through a roaming agreement.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Considering it can take two years or more to go through the process of designing, approval and construction to get a new cellular tower in a location, yeah, it can be complicated.

0 Likes
DavidCole
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why has there not been an answer to several questions about the lack of coverage in Central Texas (Brownwood, etc)?  I am traveling through that area every couple of weeks now and it is annoying to have a dead phone in the middle of Texas.  At least we could have a roaming agreement with a local carrier there.  Geesh...

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello DavidCole,

I know how important it is to have service where you need it most. The city of Brownwood, TX and the surrounding areas have large pockets of No Service. Verizon Wireless is always researching new areas to expand our coverage. I do not have any information of future improvements or expansions to our network at this time for this area. 

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Ann154 wrote:

After a little more research, it looks like there is a regional carrier that might own a majority of the frequencies in that area. Sprint or AT&T appear to also cover the area either natively or through a roaming agreement.

Not according to this site

0 Likes