Why is signal strength so poor?
Wkirk00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted this same issue a few months ago when I was using a galaxy s6 - I used to have decent signal in my house, now I have to leave my neighborhood, not just my house, to get a signal strength better than 1x...which is basically no signal at all.

With the S6, I was told to switch to VoIP and use Verizon's message system. I did and it worked well enough, except I hate the Verizon text service.

Now, with the S9, I have the same poor 1x signal, but even using VoIP, calls are difficult to connect and the connection is poor. The verizon text service is no better than the Samsung text app. I can't send pictures, or large size messages at all. What gives, Verizon? I'm in the Maryland suburbs of DC, but I see people all over the country posting similar issues. What happened to the verizon network??

Labels (1)
Re: Why is signal strength so poor?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never like to hear that your service is anything less than phenomenal, Wkirk00. I know you depend on us for reliable service and I'm here to help. What's the zip code where you are having issues? You mentioned using VoIP service but to clarify, are you using Wi-Fi calling or something else? I would recommend using our troubleshooting assistant to troubleshoot the issues with getting a 1x signal and you can do that here: http://spr.ly/6580DAHIe

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Wkirk00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in zip code 20772. I'm using wi-calling... and yes, my wi-fix works just fine for everything except phone calls and text messages, including every other wi-fix connected device I have.

I went through all the troubleshooting options for degraded or no signal. I've either already done every step, or they aren't applicable to my situation.

Further, the Messages+ app definitely doesn't work. I was told to use it previously and it worked ok on my old S6. I've tried to send three messages today with pictures attached, and all three are still in "sending" status.

So, now what? I'm paying verizon for service that I can't use in my own house. And it's clear from reading the message boards, I'm not the only one.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wkirk00, we know you rely on the service to stay in touch with friends and family, especially in this day and age. We strive to have the best network and we're going to do everything possible to help you enjoy the service. Since you've gone through the troubleshooting steps we've provided in the link, we'd like to gather some additional details. Is anyone else in your area having trouble (friends, family, neighbors)? Is this happening consistently or intermittent throughout the day? Around the time the issue started, do you recall any changes to the area?

Steven_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dewgy

I'm having a somewhat Similar problem. Our ZIP Code is 47024, Laurel IN. We usually have 4G all the time at my house, but me and everyone in the area are having the same problem. For the past week we are lucky if we even have signal, at the most I get around 200Kbps at 1 bar of 3G. I'm positive it's a problem with the cell tower, however most problems we have around here are resolved within a day. It's almost been 8 whole days and there's no sign of our signal improving. I'm currently using a Galaxy S8 Edge.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dewgy, experiencing service issues in your home area for over 8 days is no fun at all. I am here to assist. I did some research and I don't see any red flags in your area. Is this issue occurring indoors or outdoors? What services are being affected due to this issue?  

Justin_VZW

0 Likes
Wkirk00
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is constant, the signal is not always 1x with one or no bars. Has been this way for over 4 months.

I don't know if anyone else in the neighborhood has verizon.

There have been no changes that I'm aware of in the area, though I have no idea what kind of changes would affect cell service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wkirk00, we appreciate your service details. Let's get some clarity on these. There are a number of factors that can affect your wireless experience. This video can help explain this. http://spr.ly/6588DhG0O Has there been any construction in your area? I understand that you used to have better coverage, but there are several elements that can hinder the wireless signal from getting indoors. Do you typically use Wi-Fi at home? If so, what happens when you try to call or text with Wi-Fi Calling?  

Joel_VZW

0 Likes
Wkirk00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I watched the video. It wasn't very helpful. I live in an established neighborhood, wooded, but the same trees have been here for years prior to the cell service suddenly degrading. The service does not fluctuate based on weather or time of day. As long as I'm within 1/10 of a mile of my house, the signal is 1x - regardless of date, time, or mother nature. So the only way the signal is being blocked by a building is if Verizon moved their tower in the past few months.

To review: this problem began in early summer, when I had a galaxy s6. Verizon support advised I enable wifi calling and use verizon text msg app. I did both. Calls and text service improved. In September I switched to a galaxy s9 because the battery on the s6 gave out. Since I've had the s9, wifi calling is just as choppy as regular calling, and texts with photos attached or any MMS texts cannot be sent using either the Samsung msg app or the verizon msg app. I can receive some photos via text, but haven't found any pattern to explain which I receive timely and which I receive when I leave my neighborhood and pick up 4g service again.

Please do not use any combination of the words "you need to buy a network extender." I will absolutely switch carriers. There is no way I'm paying extra money because Verizon is suddenly unable to provide decent service.

0 Likes
Dewgy

I didn't reply to this thread because my service returned to normal the following night. We have enjoyed a couple weeks of our regular speed, however, it's at it again. For the past 3 days our area seems to be barren of signal. Our data is unusable and takes ages to send a text message.

0 Likes