Re: Why throttle unlimited 3G/4G data users?... Hmmmm, let's seeee.
MrJames
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why not have corporate integrity to honor a written contract?

Why not provide the service to 3G customers that was contracted?

Why not engineer the data structure to satisfy the requirements of all 3G devices that were sold and contracted before

beginning to develop and sell 4G devices and contracts?

Why not just provide free broadband services to all citizens as as a Constitutional right?  Call Washington D.C. now and demand it!

Verizon may be the next nationalized US corporation.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

they are actually. They have a long standing policy within their terms dating as far back as 1996 about potential throttling. All landline ISP have these too. All colleges do it from the start.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What do you think 4G is and them trying to push everyone on their 4G network?

0 Likes
boutaswell-v-s
Enthusiast - Level 2

And just how new is 4G?  It's not like it came out yesterday.  I don't for a minute give a multi-billion dollar corp a break to "get things right".  It's their responsibility to have things right before they go to market.  That's what the govts lawsuits against Microsoft should have been about; not fixing the product as you go along.  They are all chasing the almighty dollar.  And will someone tell me, why do we need all this technology anyhow.  Is this really what it means to be civilized and upscale and all that crap?  I don't need it and I'm leaving when my contract is up. 

0 Likes
boutaswell-v-s
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry but there are no semantics in the term "unlimited".  It means what it says and a company should not be allowed to write their own definition to a word like that just so it will enhance their pocketbooks.

Tidbits
Legend

It was in development since 2003 Verizon put in BILLIONS of dollars per year into the project.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you 100%.  There are things out there that can be accounted for 100% of the time every time.  Why don't you build the perfect network if you think that is possible, and everyone will flock to you because your network is perfect.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

boutaswell-v-s wrote:

I'm sorry but there are no semantics in the term "unlimited".  It means what it says and a company should not be allowed to write their own definition to a word like that just so it will enhance their pocketbooks.

Yes there is semantics.

unlimited data = no overages no matter which way you spin it.  You are getting unlimited data no matter what they do with the BANDWIDTH.  BANDWIDTH and DATA are two different things.  People are using a blanket statement to justify what they want.

Wildman
Legend

You may want to read this and familiarize yourself with the guidelines that was put in place with the contract that you signed with the company....  http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html?sayt=data%20use%20policy*

Here is one of the main points...

ANSWERS: Frequently Asked Questions

• Why are you implementing Network Optimization?
    We are well known for our wireless networks and we are dedicated to ensuring that our customers have the best wireless experience possible.  Our network is a shared resource with tens of millions of customers.  We are implementing Network Optimization practices to ensure that all of our customers have the positive experience they expect.

• Will I be affected by Network Optimization?
    Only a small percent of customers will be affected.  To be affected, you must be:
  • A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
  • Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
  • Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Then, you will only be affected:

• When you are on the 3G network; and
  • When you are connected to a congested cell site.

• How is this different than throttling?

The difference between our Network Optimization practices and throttling is network intelligence.  With throttling, your wireless data speed is reduced for your entire cycle, 100% of the time, no matter where you are. Network Optimization is based on the theory that all customers should have the best network possible, and if you’re not causing congestion for others, even if you are using a high amount of data, your connection speed should be as good as possible. So, if you’re in the top 5% of data users, your speed is reduced only when you are connected to a congested cell site. Once you are no longer connected to a congested site, your speed will return to normal. This could mean a matter of seconds or hours, depending on your location and time of day.

prdparent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wildman - burying it in the fine print doesn't make it right.
Your employer may (or may not) have a LEGAL right to do this, however morality and legality
have vastly different thresholds - for most of us.

What many are saying is that we agreed to purchase an unlimited
high-speed data plan, and when you employer arbitrarily switches us to a LOW
SPEED data plan for the specific purpose of punishing us, that's kinda not
fair.

Wildman
Legend

I do not disagree but the biggest issue is that users do not read what they are agreeing to, if all information is laid on the table a user has a choice on what they are prepared to agree to instead of sign it and then get upset because the rules are there...

The info is there and the company isn't hiding the information because a simple search can find answers in the electronic error.  No matter if the user didn't notice or simply didn't read the agreement how is this the company fault?

I'm not trying to disregard any users concerns but users have to take the time to verify what they are getting into before agreeing to the situation, that's all I am saying.

0 Likes