Wi-fi calling uses your plan minutes?
Chagrin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a share plan of 700 minutes.  I was told that if I call over wi-fi calling, the minutes would not count against my plan.  Now I'm receiving messages that I have used 75% of my monthly allowance.  Why? 

0 Likes
Re: Wi-fi calling uses your plan minutes?
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

Whoever told you that was wrong and misinformed. Using Wi-Fi calling is just another way to access Verizon's Network and use your service. By the way if you call another country using Wi-Fi calling it's also not free and you will be charged long distance rates.

0 Likes
Chagrin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - they just confirmed what you said.  VERY FRUSTRATING, especially when I contacted Verizon twice and was told I could talk over wi-fi and not use minutes. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wi-Fi calls don't count against you cellular plan, as they do not pass through the cell tower. We would recommend reviewing your call logs on My Verizon to check to see if any of the calls you made over Wi-Fi are showing there.  CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
Chagrin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was transferred to a technical person who asked the supervisor who said YES it does against my minutes plan.  Plus I am getting emails and text alerts about using 75% of my minutes.  I looked online to see what the minutes are designated as - none show if they are wi-fi or Verizon to Verizon.  the only time I see the breakdown is viewing a past pdf bill.  On your website the only heading that show are 

ate Time Destination Number Call type Minutes

When I download the excel file it shows headers:

AirBal  Min; MsgAirDate; DispBgeinTime; DispBeginAMPM; Usagetype; Destination:callFullType; Mtn; MsgDesc1; MsgDesc2

is there another place to look for the current breakout?  And why if you say the minutes don't count and I getting alerts???

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

Wow.  Its like being back at at&t.  I thought only at&t reps didnt know how stuff works.  

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon wifi calling FAQ doesnt even address the issue of minute plans.  And it should.  At&t’s website at least does that.  

https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to be sure you have the right information regarding WiFi Calling, Chagrin1. Since you are seeing call records listed online, this indicates your calls were not placed using WiFi Calling. When using this feature, your call is passed through the WiFi data network as opposed to the cellular network, and therefore will not count towards your minute allowance. Please click here: http://vz.to/2pY7Azy to review WiFi Calling FAQs, then scroll to the section for Use WIFi Calling. When placing a successful call over WIFi, your phone will show the appropriate indicator as listed next to #3 - How Do I Make WiFi Calls.

What make/model phone are you currently using? Have you followed the steps to turn on HD Voice and WiFi Calling on your device? If so, do you recall seeing the WiFi Calling indicator on your screen when placing a call over WiFi?

LaurenC_VZW

0 Likes
Chagrin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for answering.  Yes, I did turn on wi-fi calling. I have Samsung S8 which is listed on the chart link you sent. 

I turned it on by:
1. Hitting the green phone icon from my home screen;
2. touching the 3 dots on the right by the search icon;
3. clicked settings;
4. swiped to turn on "wi-fi Calling".   

I was on wi-fi the entire month in my home using my phone for work.  The wi-fi icon was on showed all the bars lit. 

Ironically when I got the message alert via text and email - (Details as of: 6/25/2020 4:25 PM EDT) and went online it showed 0 minutes used.  I called Verizon and the rep also saw 0 minutes used.  2 days later it populated to show the 75% minutes used. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely want to figure this out, Chagrin1. To clarify, are you placing long distance calls to another country or are the calls domestic? Have you added up the call logs that are available and if so, do the logs amount to the total used displayed? So that we are sure that you are calling with Wi-Fi Calling, we would recommend that you put the phone into airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi only and conduct the call to ensure that the call was completed this way and then check the usage on My Verizon after 2 days (since it can take come time to update). Here's how to check usage: https://www.verizon.com/support/view-usage-on-your-bill/

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes