Wifi Calling on Verizon - Is it real?
Hmmm_WhatNow
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had Verizon for a couple of months now. Because the signal is quite weak where I live, I've tried using wifi calling. The calls fail like crazy (over 50% of the time). It is my guess that this has to do quite specifically with calling because I find that I have good connectivity otherwise.

Switching to the tower signal is not an option - I get less than 1 bar  (and to preempt a Verizon person's questions about the construction of my residence, let me clarify that it is all of 900 square feet with a 25-foot foot glass front). Tower signal calls seem to fail about 80% of the time.

Is Verizon properly supporting Wifi calling? I can think of a million reasons why they would not.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wifi Calling on Verizon - Is it real?
Not applicable

While Verizon has mentioned maybe offering wi-calling as an option by mid 2015 they have not done so as of yet and there hasn't been any sort of announcement that they intend on doing so. So I'm not sure how you could have used Verizon's non-existent wi-fi calling service.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

While Verizon has mentioned maybe offering wi-calling as an option by mid 2015 they have not done so as of yet and there hasn't been any sort of announcement that they intend on doing so. So I'm not sure how you could have used Verizon's non-existent wi-fi calling service.

0 Likes
Hmmm_WhatNow
Enthusiast - Level 1

In a lengthy interaction with multiple Verizon tech support personnel yesterday I repeatedly mentioned using wifi calling. No one provided the clarification you are providing. Do you work for Verizon? I ask because I feel Verizon staff are quite capable of overlooking elephants in the room.

And yes I've been able to call (although only occasionally and poorly).

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon employees that reply are very easy to identify via their username and avatar. So if you have to ask the answer is obviously no.

Verizon has HD calling which requires the use of their 4G network. You already state that your signal is bad. If you use HD calling and you lose your 4G signal you lose the call. It doesn't fall back to 3G. So I wouldn't use HD calling in a poor signal area. HD calling is not wi-fi calling. As I said Verizon mention last SEPTEMBER than maybe mid 2015 they will deploy wi-fi calling. That's the last we've heard on the topic. You other option is to use a network extender since you say you have access to wi-fi. I'm assuming you have cable internet or DSL.

0 Likes
apsc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Indeed, there was a brief mention of wifi calling back in September 2014, along with some spin that VZW doesn't actually need it b/c of the strength of their network, while other carriers do need it b/c of their crappy networks (not in so many words). I saw speculation on this board that it will probably be released in July/August and bundled as part of Advanced Calling 2.0. I think you and the phone rep probably just misunderstood each other, the phone rep b/c wifi calling does not actually exist yet.

Note that Advanced Calling 1.0 includes HD Calling (which also only works if BOTH parties have HD Calling-capable phones and have the feature activated - which is not a big deal to me), video calls whereby you can basically do the equivalent of Facetime or Skype natively on your VZW device, and voice over LTE (VoLTE) which lets you talk and use data at the same time (basically, it's like a VOIP call over the internet, so you're just using data and not locking down your phone by using the cellular network).

0 Likes
Ventuckyspaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has wifi calling on all of the phones you get from them. I have an unlocked Moto Stylus and got my mom a Stylus from Verizon. Even through we have the exact same model phone she has wifi calling and I don't. I know my phone is capable of it because if I put a T-mobile SIM card into it I'm able to then do wifi calling. It's Verizon's policy to not allow wifi calling on unlocked phones unless they are super expensive unlocked Apple, Samsung or Google phones and even then that's not guaranteed. It's about trying to force you to buy a phone from them. An alternative is to install Google Voice which with that you can make and receive calls by wifi or LTE same thing with messages. You don't have to accept the first number they give you. Just keep rejecting them until you find one you like. They also have free transcripted visual voicemail so I have my cell service forwarded to GV who sees its from my main phone and directly sends it to voicemail. You can even port your number to GV but I haven't. I just use it in the few spots where I have internet but not Verizon service. Also if I'm on my computer and want to text someone something I copied from my clipboard I can. You can even answer calls on there if you wanted to. It's also useful to have a second phone number so you don't always have to give out your main one if you don't want to. If the GV number is called you can answer it on your phone as normal. Use the Google Voice app/website to check voicemails and to send and receive texts from that number.

0 Likes
Ventuckyspaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon has had wifi calling for years. The issue is even if your phone supports it you have to buy a phone from them to allow it to be turned on. Me and my mom have the same model phone. Mine is unlocked and we got hers from Verizon. She can do wifi calling but they refuse to turn it on my phone. Your issue is you probably don't have a phone from Verizon or a few of their models don't support it. Most of their employees aren't actually aware of this fact.

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes