Wifi Calling won't work
terriblereception

I have wifi calling enabled in settings, and I have even troubleshooted by testing where there is zero cellular LTE reception (in a shop under a steel roof) but yet perfect full bars of wifi signal inside. So perfect test of wifi calling. VoWifi is enabled, and when inside there, my top icon bar on phone shows zero regular reception but full bars Wi-Fi. And it also shows the VoWifi icon. So all should be good to go, right? Except... When I go to try to dial a call, it immediately comes up with an error message of "Cannot connect to mobile network.". What is the deal? I need to set wifi calling preferred and to be able to use wifi calling in these instances. It is enabled so what else am I missing#

Screenshot_2022-06-08-07-37-23-85_54063fc6848ac98a54ce5f2a63661433.jpg

0 Likes
Re: Wifi Calling won't work
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The Wi-Fi Calling feature is very convenient. We are sorry to see that you are having trouble using it. Let's work together and make sure you have access. We will need to gather a few more details. Have you been able to use the Wi-Fi Calling in other locations? Are you currently having trouble with your service signal?

~Gina

0 Likes
terriblereception

I've noticed that VoWifi will only turn on for calls when cell signal is zero, like while inside under a steel roof or a basement. The wifi calling icon shows up on the top bar of my phone at that time (when there is no mobile network signal). But then if I try to make a call (thus using VoWifi), it comes up with the error message that Cannot connect to the mobile network. Which doesn't make sense because it should, at that time, use wifi to call anyway. And I have perfect full bars, excellent wifi signal at that time.

And no, wifi calling isn't working anywhere for me. The only places where I can get VoWifi icon to come up is when I have zero regular service. Otherwise Verizon wants to default always to mobile network for the phone calls. Even when reception is very poor, like only 1 or 2 bars. When reception is that low, Verizon should allow the phone to utilize wifi calling instead.

I have done a lot of online searching on these forums and elsewhere, finding that a ton of people have dealt with the issue that VoWifi only works when on airplane mode or zero cell reception. So I know it's a known Verizon thing that they're not allowing the defaulting to WiFi Calling.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those details! We most certainly want you to be able to use Wi-Fi calling & are here to help. What's the make and model of your phone? Does the problem persist when you reset your network settings? 

-Kia

0 Likes
hstein27

I am having the same issue. I just switched from AT&T to Verizon and am using a Galaxy S22 Ultra. Wi-Fi calling is turned on, yet if I have even one bar of signal it uses the Verizon network to make and receive calls. This causes issues hearing the other party or them hearing me. With AT&T if Wi-Fi calling was enabled, it used that no matter how much cellular signal I had.

This is totally unacceptable and makes me regret switching. At my house I have at most one or two bars of Verizon signal, which makes Wi-Fi calling a necessity to be able to have a conversation with someone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello hstein27,

I depend on my service every day and would be concerned too if I were having any problems. Do you see the call switch between Wi-Fi Calling and standard calls?

-Christopher

0 Likes