Will My Data Speed Go Down If I Switch To The New 4G Plan?
MICKOO42

Just researching the differences between my old Medium plan and the new 4G plan. It seems good and I get an extra GB of data, but I was wondering if my data speed changes on the new plan? When I had a popup asking if I wanted to switch to the new plan, there was a * stating that the speed was at 128 Kbps. Is this a change from the old plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I switch to the new 4G plan from the old Medium plan, does my data speed go down?
Weth
Legend

The New My Verizon plan still uses Small, Medium, Large etc. If you go from your Old Verizon Plan M plan with 3 GB to the new Verizon Plan M plan, which is 4 GB, the first 4 GB of data is as fast as the Old Verizon M plan - that is full speed LTE data.

After you use up 4 GB, and if you turn on safety mode (you must do this actively, it is not automatic), then once you reach 4 GB, instead of getting a $15 per 1 GB overage fee, your speed will dramatically slow down to 0.12 Mbps but you will get no overage fee. You can use "limitless" amount of this slow data for no added fee.

In addition, you will get carryover data, so if there is a month you don't use 4 GB, the remainder of the plan data will carry over to the next 1 month.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: If I switch to the new 4G plan from the old Medium plan, does my data speed go down?
Weth
Legend

The New My Verizon plan still uses Small, Medium, Large etc. If you go from your Old Verizon Plan M plan with 3 GB to the new Verizon Plan M plan, which is 4 GB, the first 4 GB of data is as fast as the Old Verizon M plan - that is full speed LTE data.

After you use up 4 GB, and if you turn on safety mode (you must do this actively, it is not automatic), then once you reach 4 GB, instead of getting a $15 per 1 GB overage fee, your speed will dramatically slow down to 0.12 Mbps but you will get no overage fee. You can use "limitless" amount of this slow data for no added fee.

In addition, you will get carryover data, so if there is a month you don't use 4 GB, the remainder of the plan data will carry over to the next 1 month.

0 Likes
MICKOO42

Thank you!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

And just to clear up any confusion - you only need to turn on Safety Mode once, and then leave it on all the time. It only kicks in when you run out of data, and it is designed to just keep on all the time.

0 Likes
M5235

Along the same line of plans

We have a medium 4GB plan for our two Pixel 3a phones and an iPad.  We purchased Pixel 6 phones but really don't need the 5G capabilities.  Can we move our 4G Sim(or new 4G SIM)  to the new phones and maintain our current plan?  The 5G plans are 55% more and this is sending us shopping.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The last thing we want is for you to leave us. Please do not put your old SIM cards in your new phones. Having 5G is the same as 4G. It's when you go to our 5G UW, the phones will work on 4G and you don't have to change your plan. Does this help? -Dolores

0 Likes