Your upgrade fee is garbage
JJWA77
Enthusiast - Level 1

Period. No two ways about it.  You and all other mobile carriers charging this (collusion) fee is ridiculous. It creates a disincentive to upgrade devices at all. I buy my phones directly from the MFR (something that was virtually impossible until the last few years thanks to you and AT&T constantly trying to fight this process) and I never "finance" them.  The upgrade fee for years was justified as the cost of "doing business" when you handled the ordering and financing.  Somehow though, now upgrade fees are charged to everyone regradless of where the phone came from.  The "new" justification? Now you are trying to say the effort to provision a new phone justifies this fee.  Provisioning happens automatically (thank you eSIM) and doesn't involve talking to you AT ALL.  So why are you still trying to justify this?  Your standard excuse of transferring voicemails and transferring contacts? That's laughable. The phones do this themselves, the "data transfer" is just a typical provision, there is no extra cost that you are bearing to do this.   I pay you enough each month to have service, provisioning a device should be included with the price I pay per month for you as it's already high enough.  Stop charging upgrade fees.  Also, imagine being a wireless carrier who competes based on their service quality and pricing and even add-ons.  Imagine NOT being a wireless carrier who still does anything and everything in their power to hold users captive to your service with ridiculous terms and tons of fees. Postpaid service is expensive enough as it is, why do you keep making it even more so?

Re: Your upgrade fee is garbage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JJWA77, I am always on the lookout for additional fees myself. Our goal is to provide value for the fee. The Upgrade fee is applied for changing to a new device on the Verizon network. We provide our customers with access to a range of services, tools, and personalized support for this fee to ensure that your device is set up for a harmonious experience on the nation's most reliable network. 

We have developed new products to help with this process, such as 30-60 days of personalized support through Tech Coach and Verizon Smart Setup to name a few.  Please click on the following web page https://www.verizon.com/support/upgrade-device-faqs/ and refer to number one under the "Upgrade fee, order status, and billing" for more details. We hope this information helps with your concern. 

-David

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I’m not sure where you got the idea you’re charged upgrade if you bring your own device. I’ve been buying my own devices elsewhere and swapping my Sim card on my own since 2014. I’ve never been charged an upgrade fee by AT&T or Verizon for doing this. 
If you purchase directly from any carrier, even if you pay full price, or purchase with installments, you will be charged an upgrade fee.  
with a number of unlocked phones that you can purchase direct from the manufacturer, that have full service on both AT&T and Verizon, there’s really no excuse not to buy unlocked.  Iphone, pixel, and The newest Samsung flag ships all have full support, including Wi-Fi calling on both AT&T and Verizon.  Apple Samsung and Google all have their own installment purchase option.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

JJWA77, I am always on the lookout for additional fees myself. Our goal is to provide value for the fee. The Upgrade fee is applied for changing to a new device on the Verizon network. We provide our customers with access to a range of services, tools, and personalized support for this fee to ensure that your device is set up for a harmonious experience on the nation's most reliable network. 

We have developed new products to help with this process, such as 30-60 days of personalized support through Tech Coach and Verizon Smart Setup to name a few.  Please click on the following web page https://www.verizon.com/support/upgrade-device-faqs/ and refer to number one under the "Upgrade fee, order status, and billing" for more details. We hope this information helps with your concern. 

-David

Oh please! 🤣😂🤣.  I understand you’re only doing your job but this reply is the most bogus excuse and list of “services” ever.  
I understand charging an upgrade fee if we use your installment loan process, or phone comes with a carrier SIM card.  Nothing else is an excuse.

$40?  Excessive.  

I don’t need professional  help to transfer my data from one device to the other, or even to open the Sim drawer and insert a Sim card, or activate a new device online. I don’t need tech-support.  The last time I activated a new line for a palm companion, your store employees didn’t even know how to remove the sim drawer nor did they have a tool to do it. Fortunately I did and brought my own tool.  Still I did not begrudge being charged a fee to add the line in store.  

Maybe carriers should just charge  a concierge fee for the customers who need to have their hands held through the upgrade process, including transferring their data and putting on cases and screen protectors?   

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Btw, if you bought the Verizon version of any phone and had it shipped to you and it came with a Verizon Sim card, you would be charged an upgrade fee.

there’s no reason not to buy an unlocked phone when you are paying full price.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mama23dogs

The OP mentioned something about provisioning the eSIM. I haven't dealt with an eSIM yet, but I wonder if Verizon Wireless is now charging an upgrade fee for activating a new phone with the eSIM. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Possible.  

0 Likes