data usage?
Justgivemeananswer

I have a question about data usage. I've had the same iPhone 6 for 2 years and have not recently added any apps or changed versions of iOS. Over the last month, data usage on my phone is more than double. I work in the tech industry and understand data. Is there something Verizon is doing differently that is driving up data usage?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: data usage?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you update any applications?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
aNewDayDawns

I'm in the same boat. My first guess is that it has something to do with the new version of the  music app that has all of the cloud integration. My second guess is that the latest ios update changed some things with how data is used, because I've suddenly jumped up to over a gig in the "chats" data category in my MyVerizon app. Still trying to track down the details on what's in that category....

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Have you looked on your phone to see which apps are using the most data?

0 Likes
CHICKSTER054

The same thing has been happening to me. I have had the same phone plan for right at 2 years now. 4 phones, and 8Gb of data, and never went over or hit my limits, and then several months ago I received a noticed that I was about to reach my limit, then the next month a day before my data reset I was notified I reached my data limit and got charged more money. Then the next month I was notified I reached my limit 12 days before it reset, and was then charged 2 more overage charges before my data reset that month. So reluctantly I increased my data limit 10gb MORE, taking me to 18gb. and now this past month I received a notice 2 days before my data reset that I had used 90% of my data! This increase makes ZERO sense,  because our physical phone, or internet usage hadn't increased. In fact my wife and I shut our data off on our phones when we are not on them, and everyone on my plan connects to wifi every time we can, which is most of the time. Our phone setting are set to what Verizon says to set them at to use less data, but with ALL of these practices, SOMEHOW we have went from using far less that 8gb a month to almost 18gb month. Explain that!!  Not a happy Verizon customer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

CHICKSTER054 wrote:

SOMEHOW we have went from using far less that 8gb a month to almost 18gb month. Explain that!!

As many of us on these forums have suggested, you will NEVER explain it until you go into your settings and determine which apps are using an unusual amount of data. Then go into those apps and check the settings.

You may want to look at the following post from someone who appears to have found what was causing the extra data usage on their iPhone.

Re: Why has my data surged since switching to this iphone?

0 Likes
Justgivemeananswer

Yes, I went into settings and looked at data usage.  None of the apps appeared to be outside the normal values.  I also went into system services. 

The problem has not repeated, and I have not been able to find an app that was using more data than normal.  At this point, I'm writing it off to a glitch on the verizon end.

0 Likes