does domestic roaming exist on Verizon?
marklyn9063
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are places in/around the area I live where I cannot get a cell signal. zip. none.  My friends, who were with me on a recent day trip, and is on ATT had 5 bars when I have none.  My other friend, who was also with us, has TMobile and he had 4 bars.

I looked at the Verizon and ATT coverage maps when we got back.  Verizon had very spotty coverage where we were and ATT had solid coverage.

So, why didn't my phone roam and get another (ATT?) signal?  Come to think of it I've NEVER seen the little "R" roaming signal since I've had this phone... ever.

I chatted with Verizon rep and he had me check a couple of things and do a reset on my network settings and switch on HD Voice & Video, but I have very little confidence this will make a difference.

Any thoughts or help on what I can do would be appreciated.  My contract is coming up soon and I've always had this issue from day 1 but now that I'm going to have a choice about which carrier to choose from I might just go to ATT since they have great coverage in Texas.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: does domestic roaming exist on Verizon?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is the one thing I could find on domestic roaming. Domestic Roaming FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you please provide the zip code for the area you don't have coverage in?

Which phone model do you have? Sometimes you should be able to roam on the AT&T or T-Mobile service, but it depends on the agreement is place for those particular towers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I kinda disagree with that. They are two different technologies so how can Verizon roam on them? I can see if it was Sprint or IS cellular.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the phone is on Global mode, it technically could probably see the GSM networks like AT&T or T-Mobile.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Next time th situation arises I'm gonna try that.

0 Likes
marklyn9063
Enthusiast - Level 2

The zip code to the closest town is Fredericksburg (Tx), 78624.  The area I was in that I mentioned in the post is a park called Enchanted Rock, which is about 18 miles NNE of Fredericksburg.  I was on a part of the rock that is around 400' high with views in all directions for 80+ miles.

My phone is a Galaxy S6.

In other situations where I have no cell signal, I'm on a commuter train going from North Austin to downtown (zip 78758 -> 78704).  I don't have cell signal for 3/4 of the trip.  My partner also has the exact same phone and service and results with his phone is exactly the same.

0 Likes
marklyn9063
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann what carriers does Verizon have roaming contracts with?  I guess I was naive in thinking that if I can't get a Verizon signal that any (non-Verizon) signal would be used while roaming.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is the one thing I could find on domestic roaming. Domestic Roaming FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the Fredericksburg zip code has a lot of roaming areas around it. Other CDMA carriers are likely to be the first choice for a Verizon Wireless phone to roam on. US Cellular is most likely one. A smaller regional carrier is another. As the network shifts more and more to VoLTE we could start seeing roaming on the GSM based networks as long as your phone is capable of connecting with those networks.

Screenshot_20161122-081441.png7

Screenshot_20161122-081449.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alaska Cellular (or whatever their name is) would be another example of a carrier that Verizon Wireless roams on for voice and 3G EDVO data. Verizon Wireless had no native coverage in Alaska until they were able to deploy their LTE network starting with band 13.

0 Likes