Re: does domestic roaming exist on Verizon?
marklyn9063
Enthusiast - Level 2

So after an hour wait at the Verizon store I spoke to someone who sounded like they were knowledgeable in the area of roaming as it concerns Verizon. Gave her the scenario I posted above.  She said that turning on Advanced Calling (HD) wouldn't work, particularly because if I'm not getting a signal, how would HD Calling help?  I told her I agreed with her but the Verizon chat person the other day assured me that would "fix the issue".  Right.

She basically told me that roaming happens behind the scenes. The fact that I couldn't get any signal when my friends on two different carriers could probably means that Verizon has no contract with any carrier (towers) in that immediate area.  That seemed like a plausible explanation.  She also mentioned that ATT signal wouldn't work since they are on GSM and Verizon is CDMA, Makes sense I guess.

Lastly she offered to switch out my SIM chip for a new one in the hopes that there is some issue with my SIM card.  So we did that but now I need to try to go to some areas where I know the signal is weak or non-existant.

If I'm still having problems then it sounds like the best course of action for me is to consider ATT, at least for Texas/Austin coverage.  I'm sure they have their own issues but hopefully they have more/better contracts for non-ATT coverage than Verizon does.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just be careful that you don't roam too much on AT&T if you switch to them. I know for a fact that AT&T will send out letters asking you to stop roaming so much on a partner carrier or they will disconnect your service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Danoboy17

I live about 15 miles from town and get no service at home, about 100 yards from my house is a at&t tower. How can I get a signal from there? My zip code is 98603. My girlfriend I believe has cricket and gets amazing service I'm on call with my job and my phone is my lifeline but really don't want to change carrier's

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Danoboy17, we fully understand the need to be able to get the best service possible while at home. Can you please provide us some more details on the service you see in the area? Are calls affected or all services? JoseL_VZW

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus
Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.
0 Likes