first day of cycle, as soon as i wake up 1/4 a gig of data is used??
krunk59289
Enthusiast - Level 1

does anyone know why this would happen? we're on shared data, she has the iphone 4s, i have the razr maxx.. her phone was off all night, and i hadnt touched mine so how do we have any data useage at all? this is our first bill so maybe this is normal i have no idea

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: first day of cycle, as soon as i wake up 1/4 a gig of data is used??
Zenith629
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not sure if this is your situation since I do not have a shared data plan. However, I have noted that Verizon leaves last months' data usage posted for the first couple of days of your new cycle. It then resets. Try looking again in a day or two and you will probably see your true usage for the new cycle.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I suspect the apps are syncing on a schedule that is either the default setting or set by you. When your device checks mail, news, weather, and all it will use data.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

As budone mentioned, go into every app/widget and set your sync settings to manual or less frequent. Open each e-mail account and set the poll frequency. Tap the weather widget and set the refresh schedule. Go into Settings>Accounts & Sync and uncheck auto sync and background data, if you wish.

0 Likes
TheDiabolicaL1
Contributor - Level 1

This is another in the long list of reasons why we need full access to our devices.

How can we be told to only use X amount of data per month or pay more and not have access to the core elements of the who, why, how, where and when our devices are allowed to use data?

How can we be expected to share, with another device we can't control either, a limited amount of data without the ability to control how the device uses it?

Oh Verizon.. every time I turn around I'm astounded by your policies.  I'm beginning to think someone in that upstairs office is good at playing Chess.

Hahaha.. yea-  lets lock them in on super low usage data plans and give them phones without the permissions and access needed for them to limit this usage.  Better yet if we get someone who's not technically advanced-  maybe they'll go way over on their usage and we laugh all the way to the banks.

0 Likes
TheDiabolicaL1
Contributor - Level 1

Basically, render your device useless.

Nice.  Awesome thing to suggest.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

You do realize there are other carriers out there.

budone
Legend

How can we be told? It is VZW's sandbox. They have spelled out how things will be PRIOR to  us agreeing to be a subscriber.

0 Likes
TheDiabolicaL1
Contributor - Level 1

Yes?  So the person above explicitly was told by Verizon that at full functionality their devices, on a shared data plan could use up to 250MB overnight?

Of course, how does the device come configured?  Full functionality.  Does Verizon really expect the average user to understand all this technical lingo?  Of course not-  this why tiered and shared data is so brilliant!  We'll make it incredibly expensive to buy data, we'll send out our phones running flat out and lets hope the user isn't tech savvy enough to understand and we'll rake in the cash with overage fees.

Yep.. VZW's sandbox alright.

I know what they've spelled out- and it ain't fair.

0 Likes
Sandman_CA
Contributor - Level 2

"does anyone know why this would happen?"

Yeah, it's because you're not on wi-fi.

0 Likes