iPad mini 2 sim card is accidentally locked
dozel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I accidentally locked my sim card on my newly bought iPad mini 2. I learned that from Verizon website, I could actually found the PUK code on my device if I log in to my account on Verizon.com. So as a new customer, I tried to register. But the first step is asking me to input my phone number which I don't have. So I called the customer service to ask two questions: 1. how to register an account without a phone number. 2. to see if I can get the PUK code through the phone.

The customer representative asked me my iPad IMEI number, my real name, and a 4 digit number that is easy for my to remember, and an answer to a  security question. I provided all the information. Then she told me that I need to select a data plan in order to unlock the sim card. I told her I just want to unlock the card for now, and will choose a data plan later. She put me on hold and came back minutes later told me that they are unable to unlock my card, and I need to go to a store to buy a new sim card. That's a very unreasonable and confusing answer to me. If they couldn't unlock my card, why did they bother to ask me provide those information at the first place.

And she wasn't willing to help me with the registration. Just tell me to go to a store and will me all the luck.

So that was it. My first experience with Verizon service. I'll go to a Verizon store tomorrow, although I believe that this can be solved over a phone call.

Any help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPad mini 2 sim card is accidentally locked
Briyun
Contributor - Level 1

not sure if this answers your question but if your sim card is corrupted , they may not be able to fix over the phone, which would require you to get a new sim card.....  im curious tho why are they saying you have to buy a new sim card?

0 Likes
Briyun
Contributor - Level 1

when i had issues before with sim cards (not related to ipad) but with previous smart phones i have always gone and gotten a free sim card , considering i was in contract plan and paying for warranty

0 Likes
dozel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll go find out tomorrow. It asks me to input the PUK code which I can find on my device if I'm able to register an account. The only problem is that I don't have a mobile phone number for the registration!

Briyun
Contributor - Level 1

dont know really  .. i m just saying in relations to the sim card, still dunno why they would say you would have to buy a sim card tho ... if you already signed up for warranty and contract... and if your product is brand new the factory warranty should fall into play... i would let them check it out

0 Likes
dozel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, I don't have any contract with Verizon. I bought this iPad from Apple store directly. I can add/terminate data plan anytime I want.

Briyun
Contributor - Level 1

you could always try thee , old google search , for troubleshooting results as well , relating to the issue if you dont think your sim card is corrupted, but i dunno if your sim card is corrupted

0 Likes
Briyun
Contributor - Level 1

thats probally why they say they want you to buy a new sim card, they want to make another dollar

0 Likes
Briyun
Contributor - Level 1

when i had 2 phones on my account with verizon after the contract ended on the 2phone line i removed the phone and added a laptop computer with built in 3 g i was able to activate using the number from the second line as well

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

dozel wrote:

I'll go find out tomorrow. It asks me to input the PUK code which I can find on my device if I'm able to register an account. The only problem is that I don't have a mobile phone number for the registration!

The SIM card has a phone number associated with it.  It is your line of service that allows you to access the Verizon Wireless data network.

Is your plan with Verizon Wireless a postpaid account or a prepaid account?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes