lied to during phone upgrade
aburke1688

I very recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge, and while I really like this phone, I am completely appalled at my treatment and the lies I bought into from Verizon.

During the upgrade process, I was asked if I would like to trade in my old phone.  I declined this, as I wanted to return my phone to the vendor on Amazon I bought it from as I had nothing but problems with the old phone (A Motorola Droid Razr).  I started to receive texts and emails from Verizon stating I need to send back the old device or be charged $500.

I chatted with a Verizon representative today, and spent a good hour waiting for her to repeat herself and not actually answer any of my questions, like why was I given the option to opt out of sending in my old phone if they were going to force me to do so anyways.

My family has been a long time Verizon customer.  Over 15 years with Verizon.  I do believe once my contract is up, they have lost a long time client.

My question is, how is Verizon able to get away with the false advertising?  I had planned on sending back my $99 phone to get my money back for the defective, glitch filled phone.  If I do that, I'll get charged upwards of $500 from Verizon.  If I send it back to Verizon, I'm out $99.  If I had known this, or was told at any time during my upgrade that this is how it was actually going to happen, I would've jumped ship then.

So thanks Verizon.  For not only wasting my time, but my money as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: lied to during phone upgrade
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aburke1688-

We would be heartbroken to see you go, your 15 years of loyalty with Verizon mean the absolute world to us. We are beyond honored to be your wireless provider. I'm sorry to read that upgrading your device was not the fun and exciting experience that it should have been, but I'm here to turn things around. I just awnt to dig a little bit deeper. When did you upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge? Did you upgrade by renewing your contract or are you on our DPP program?
AmberK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
aburke1688

I received the Samsung on or around 1/11/16.  It was an early upgrade, which to my understanding as of today from the rep I talked to, means I have no option of keeping my phone I did not purchase from Verizon.  That I would have to send my Droid purchased from Amazon to Verizon, or be charged upwards of $500.  If I had seen anything to the likes of this in the upgrade process, I would not have continued. Now I'm out anywhere between $99-$500.

I don't understand why the option to not trade it in was available to me if I would be forced to send Verizon my old phone anyways.  I also don't understand how Verizon has any right to a phone I did not purchase through them.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is not a $99 phone. The only reason you may have paid $99 is because Verizon subsidized the device to the tune of ~$450 because you signed a new 2 yr service contract. In fact, the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge is CURRENTLY a $672 phone.

Second, how long have you had the Droid Razr? This is a VERY old phone which hasn't been sold on Verizon for more than 2 years. I can't understand how you could possibly still be under contract on such an old phone.

Third, do you have more than 1 line on your account? You say this purchase is an early upgrade. This leads me to believe you MAY have more than 1 line on your account and you had transferred the upgrade this line was eligible for to another line on your account. IF this is the case, the phone Verizon is requesting to be returned is the phone you purchased with the eligible upgrade you transferred to another line OR possibly you got rid of the phone upgrade in another manner, such as sold it to someone, gave it away, lost it , broke it, etc...

It appears there is more to the story than what you are sharing.

0 Likes
aburke1688

I answered that if you read it, but I may have not actually spelled it out, as I am at work and am attempting to deal with Verizon between my responsibilities.

I bought the DROID for $99 on Amazon.  I've had it for a little over a year. There are 4 lines on the account.  I manage my line, and the other are managed by a relative.  I did not transfer an upgrade, as I would be screwing over someone else.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by your ramblings at the end of the 2nd to last paragraph, but I have never sold a phone, never given a phone away, etc.

So no, there really is no more to the story than what I am sharing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that everything is correct on your account aburke1688. I have sent you a Private Message so I can further asssit.
AmberF_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rotorbudd
Enthusiast - Level 2

The fee was applied to the account my wife is named on

Her# is [removed]

My main concern is I was lied to and that I would have never changed plans

without assurance that I wasn't going to be billed.

If I have too l will go back on the original plan for 10 days ( if I'm

allowed to for 10 days), but that's something I feel a very long time

customer should be obliged to do.

My main reason for changing plans was to have something easy to change

because my wife's plan is up this month and we were going to look into new

plans.

This experience is giving me a bad taste in my mouth for Verizon.

Richard

Personal information removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being billed correctly is a must, so I complete understand your concern rotorbudd. We definitely want to help get this resolved.

For your security we ask that you do not include your personal information on these public post. What fee was your wife billed? What do you feel you were lied about? Please provide details of your concern so we may better assist.

JohnB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rotorbudd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier, but the original thread is:

Go an early termination fee after being told I wouldn't be charged for changing plans

This post somehow got in the wrong thread. ((trying to keep up on several threads on a small phone screen))

If you could reply on the correct thread I'm appreciate it.

0 Likes