need replacement phone / how to keep unlimited data plan
joe50joe

I have a Verizon plan and would like to replace one of the phones without losing my unlimited data plan.  Ideally I'd like to go through a 3rd-party site since Verizon charges more for the same phones. What are the restrictions here?  What phones are eligible for this? Could you please explain how that is done?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: need replacement phone / how to keep unlimited data plan
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To keep your unlimited data, do not sign a new two-year contract for a subsidized phone.  You'll need to pay full retail or buy your phone from someplace like ebay.  Ensure the phone is Verizon branded and that it has a clean ESN/MEID.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To keep your unlimited data, do not sign a new two-year contract for a subsidized phone.  You'll need to pay full retail or buy your phone from someplace like ebay.  Ensure the phone is Verizon branded and that it has a clean ESN/MEID.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

joe50joe wrote:

I have a Verizon plan and would like to replace one of the phones without losing my unlimited data plan.  Ideally I'd like to go through a 3rd-party site since Verizon charges more for the same phones. What are the restrictions here?  What phones are eligible for this? Could you please explain how that is done?

A third party site (like Wirefly, Amazon, etc) is only a reseller and will renew your contract for 2 years, and in the process your unlimited data will go away.  In addition, there are added restrictions (such as NO changes to the plan within the first 180 days, an ETF for cancelling or changes on top of Verizon's ETF, etc) on many of the third party sites.

As correctly stated, the only way to keep unlimited is to purchase the phone at full retail or from a private party via ebay or craigslist or classifieds or whatever so that there is no contract renewal, and you remain month to month with your unlimited plan.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

buy a used phone on ebay from a VERY highly rated seller with a substantial history on ebay, and make sure it is a phone for verizon.

0 Likes
joe50joe

I like the site LetsTalk.  They seem to have good prices.  SO the steps I'll take are ordering the phone from their site, and then taking that phone into a Verizon store and switching it out for my dead phone. ...

http://www.letstalk.com/verizon-wireless-cell-phones

Thanks all for the help sorting through this process.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

just be careful because that site is offering the phones at new contract prices. if you see something for $99 or $199 or something, that is with a contract renewal, and you would lose the data. if you're looking for the higher end, newer phones, they will be $350-600. it will only be lower end and older models that you will find for $100-300.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Purchasing the phone from Let's Talk WILL renew your contract and you will no longer have unlimited data on your line... unless you start a new account and then swap phones, IF you are allowed to do so with no penalties.

When you go to purchase the phone from Let's Talk, it asks if this is a new account or if you are an existing customer... that's when your plan will change to the 2 GB, or possibly even the Share Everything (it looks like that's what is being offered).

AZSALUKI
Legend

ebay is really your best bet for this, if you don't want to pay full retail from verizon. verizon will sometimes sell certified preowned devices at a discounted price, without renewing your contract, but they usually have few models in this category. for example, they have a preowned nexus for $449, with no contract.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

SuzyQ wrote:

Purchasing the phone from Let's Talk WILL renew your contract and you will no longer have unlimited data on your line... unless you start a new account and then swap phones, IF you are allowed to do so with no penalties.

When you go to purchase the phone from Let's Talk, it asks if this is a new account or if you are an existing customer... that's when your plan will change to the 2 GB, or possibly even the Share Everything (it looks like that's what is being offered).

FYI, swapping a phone that is purchased thru Let's Talk results in the $350 ETF from Let's Talk

0 Likes