parental usage controls
joycefl6
I recently put usage controls on my daughter's phone.  I've blocked her from receiving texts/calls after 11:45 p.m.  Unfortunately, since she starts the call before 11:45, there is no restriction.  She speaks to the caller for two hours so I'm back where I started from.  Also, I have a problem with the only "trusted" people she can reach are those on my calling plan.  What if she can't reach us and wants to call her aunt or uncle????   Certainly, with Verizon's new "pick 10 numbers on any system" calling plan, they don't have to restrict her from using "trusted" numbers not in MY plan!  Any way around these issues?  I guess this is more for Verizon to answer but no patience waiting on the phone and customer service won't know the answer anyhow.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: parental usage controls
vztelecom
Contributor - Level 1
yes they will. Try calling 1-800-922-0204 as early in the day as possible. They will be able to answer all these questions or just stop into a VZW store.
0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the wireless website:

Time Restrictions

1. Can I manage time restrictions on my family’s lines? Yes, you can set up to 10 restricted time periods for each child on Usage Controls. It will restrict the user from sending or receiving messages (including Mobile IM), downloading content such as ringtones or games or using applications including Chaperone and Backup Assistant. Note: Text messages sent designated Trusted Numbers and the child’s phone will be accepted even during time restrictions.

Voice calls are not stopped during time restricted periods (numbers on the Block Number list are always restricted from calling or being called by the child). You cannot set an allowance for or restrict premium messages (messages that a user pays an additional charge to receive, such as sports alerts or other content like wallpaper or ringtones).
  2. Will Chaperone work when the child on Usage Controls is in a time restriction? No. A parent will not be able to locate a child or receive child zone alerts using Chaperone services when the child’s line is subject to time restrictions.
Trusted Numbers
  1. Which phone numbers can be added to the Trusted Numbers list? At this time, only numbers within your Verizon Wireless account can be added to the Trusted Numbers list. A Usage Controls subscriber and a number on the Trusted Numbers list can send or receive text messages with each other, regardless of time restrictions or message allowance limits.

You must designate which numbers on your account are Trusted Numbers.

0 Likes
john_august

The time restriction is only for stopping text messages. I asked this question also when I put usage controls on my daughters phone. I also have chaperone on her phone and found out after I put usage controls on that chaperone does not function when time restrictions are ser. I do not see why verzion can not set the id or phone number that chaperone uses as a trusted number so that it can be used when time restrictions are set. I have also asked about adding trusted numbers that are not under my plan, but are verizon customers. I was told that it was not possible.

0 Likes
nvp

We recently signed up for "Usage Controls".  We tried to use the service for the first time this evening.  We were dismayed to find that the trusted numbers feature is limited to numbers on our account.  That renders this service useless to us and probably many others. We have a fifteen-year-old 3,000 miles away in boarding school.  We had hoped to limit phone and text messaging on school nights.  We needed to add phone numbers for the dorm head - who is an adult, the schools emergency number, and other family and friends.  If there were an emergency during our usage control period, our child could not reach anyone except the numbers on our account.  All of those numbers are 3,000 miles away.  We have cancelled our subscription to Usage Controls, but will gladly sign up again - if and when Verizon upgrades their technology to include additional trusted numbers.

0 Likes
nycsheart
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just posted about this. I agree that the should allow subscribers of Parent Controls to somehow create groups so that everyone isn't restricted from contacting the number. I think it's a matter of time before they do this.

0 Likes
unduki

Verizon Usage Controls DON'T Work With All Phones!!!  There is a list that is not available to the public at this time and very few customer service reps have the capacity to know it exists.

I feel so ripped off!  I bought my daughter a phone - an LG enV Touch.  We were not told that this phone wouldn't work with the

usage controls.  I asked.

When I set up the usage controls, some worked but other's didn't.  I called and after a couple of FRUSTRATING hours on

Verizon's rabbit hole phone system, I was told that the phone I bought for my daughter didn't support usage controls.

So, now I have a two year contract on a phone that I've had to suspend because my teenager is having issues with her mother

and will run up my bill to get back at me for making her clean her room.  This is what I thought I was preventing when I bought this phone from Verizon in the first place.

0 Likes