phone call
SRREALITY45
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received a phone message that said my Verizon account was suspended and that I should call an 800 number to get it re-established, Since my Verizon is working just fine, I sensed this was a scam phone call. After checking on "my Verizon" account,  I confirmed that all is well. Unfortuntately, I did not write down the 800 number. Using Verizon's "contact us" and chat is very frustrating.........too restrictive and channels my attempts into pre-set topics. No identity fraud occurred, but might have if I weren't skeptical.

Labels (1)
Re: Scam phone call
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SRREALITY45, these type of calls have become increasingly concerning over the years, so we are here to work toward a resolution on preventing these calls. We greatly appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We have received multiple reports like this, so our team is on the case to put a stop to these calls. It is good to read that you were diligent in confirming your account is secure. Rest assured the appropriate action will be taken. We recommend ensuring your phone number is registered on the FCC’s do not call list at www.donotcall.gov. You can block numbers for free in your online account using the steps on the following web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/ by selecting “Add Now” under the heading for “Block calls and messages.” We hope this information is beneficial. 

DavidC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Moburn2009
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for posting this! The same thing almost happened to me last month. I received the same "account suspended call" which sounded authentic, complete with background music and the token phrases you hear while on hold. I stayed on the line until a "representative" came on and said that my account was suspended because of suspicious activity. Which was odd because I was just on another call so I knew my account wasn't suspended. Nevertheless I went along, all the while thinking something was strange . The "rep" then sent me a text message with a code  so that I could "verify my account" . The text came from a number that I had received generic overage texts from Verizon in the past back in 2016. It all seemed very authentic... Except why was the phone rep trying to reset my website password? That's when I knew it was a scam! I started asking HIM questions and he hung up on me! I called Verizon via the # number and a real rep told me about the scam. She checked my account and made notes on it about the fraud attempt and told me to reset my password via my app like normal. Please be vigilant guys... This one almost got me. These crooks are getting smarter. I have been a vzw customer for 10+ years now with no problems... I am certain had I been more distracted that day with kids, or work I would have fallen for the scam. It was that close to being real.

Tags (1)
Moburn2009
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for responding to that customer...but I don't think the bad guys are checking the do not call list. Verizon should be taking extra steps to notify customers of these kind of scams. Send out a blast text or something. You have my number! Right?! I couldn't imagine knowing someone for over 10 years and not immediately warn them of something that could harm them. Shame on you Verizon.

Albt
Enthusiast - Level 1
  • My husband just had the same scam phone call to his phone. When he told the woman she was wrong and he had just paid his account she hung up. 
Cactus5957
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got a phone call using my phone number saying my account was being suspended! I tried to get a hold of Verizon by phone to report this and by website. I got nothing from Verizon they sent me 3 security numbers and none of them worked!! Verizon your not user friendly please work on this you raise your prices but when we need support we don’t get it!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help has arrived! We definitely want to ensure you get the assistance you need, whenever you need it! Your account security is our number one priority. If you would like 24/7 assistance, please reach out to us via Facebook or Twitter! You can verify that we are legit via the Verizon Contact page! We hope to hear from you soon. MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes
lmillermn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just had same type call and very confusing becaused it looked like it was coming from my own phone number.  I hung up immediatly and contacted Verizon via chat.  They assured me my account was OK and recommended changing password and pin. 

Fast response and glad I hung up. 

Laurie

ramaz
Enthusiast - Level 1

The number this scam came in on was 1-800-922-2204 but I dobt this will help. One major complaint is Verison charges for security apps. customer security on a verison phone should be a basic part of service. that is som thing I will look for in my next cell provider and every one should. Why are cell carriers not msking this thier number one priority? are they alowing this to happen as an opportuinty to generate income? 

shesacharm
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was glad to see a link to block numbers... my problem is that the scammer showed the call was from Voicemail and it was from my own phone number. Not sure what would happen if I blocked my own number (somehow that doesn't seem like something I ought to do!)  The recording said pretty much what others have reported and it said hit 1 to verify or hit 2 to speak to someone.  I was not about to hit either.  I read another post where a customer care person recommended they update to the Digital Secure app on their phone.  I thought if I updated, maybe they couldn't get my number to call. I checked and I do have the new update, so it didn't make any difference.  I guess no program can keep the scammers from automatically dialing random sets of numbers until they land on an active number.