Re: "Grandfathered" data plan
Pagoda
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm getting pretty sick of the stunts VZ keeps pulling. Took away: 1. Merits Program  2.Took away Unlimited data (except grandfathered customers) 3. No more "New every two" program  4. Ruined a "Nexus" device with Verizon bloatware. How about this Verizon, I'll pay full price for the phone and you let me keep my unlimited data and let me pay for service at an Un-subsidized price. Seems pretty fair to me! I've been with VZ for well over a decade and pretty much made up my mind it's about time to explore other options. You were good while it lasted but now you are just being plain greedy. Pretty sad that VZ has the most advanced 4G network in the US and it cripples its own customers on how they can use it. Defeats the purpose doesn't it?

AZSALUKI
Legend

"Customers who choose to purchase phones at full retail price and are currently on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan."

there's nothing to interperet if you ask me. it's plain as day.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you are looking at smartphones. if you don't need or use data, then look at basic phones.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Actually everyone is simply reading the subtext of the statements being given and quickly gets upset before they understand the whole meaning...   AZSALUKI has clarified the post and the information is clear that the way that he has reported the change would take effect is the correct meaning..

If you do not upgrade a device at a discounted device or sign a new contract your unlimited data plan wont be changed...  If this is a concern all you have to do is purchase your devices at full retail cost or from another source that doesn't require you to upgrade contract and you will be fine.

0 Likes
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

As a long time VZ subscriber, and data user I am one of those WHO HAS NOT ABUSED THE SERVICE. But I must now be subjected to their punitive approach to 'revenue enhancement'. Even though it still wouldn't be fair to 'penalize' those who use excessive amounts of data,(considering it was supposed to be unlimited), they want to restrict all of us for the excesses of a few. While my comments are not intended to offend people who need to and do use lots of data, I feel like a fourth grader and the entire class is being sent to detention because someone talked. And while EVEN the 'so called' leak on Wednesday was ACTUALLY quite scripted and hardly accidental, it did inflame passions. All the while we only have a thin and vague image of what we will be 'migrated' to. To take things away without presenting the alternative is IRRESPONSIBLE. I NEED MORE THAN A 'CONCEPT'. I will need to upgrade 2 additional lines to data use before long and yet they offer me nothing more than ideas and corporate speeches to Wall street. Customer (dis)service was woefully unprepared for this announcement, and I am appalled that while I just paid the 'upgrade fee' but received erroneous and ineffective answers from their reps, I cannot penalize them by ANY means, people WE HAVE ALLOWED MONOPOLY (actually duopoly) practices to evolve in this situation. Look around, corporations control EVERY other aspects of our lives. Verizon isn't looking out for our interest, that's our job. They just want the money, and if they can slide in another 'wheel tax' and we let it stand, then we have let ourselves down.      Life is complicated nowadays, and we do reap the benefits of technology but it's up to us to stay informed and stop thinking that the first answer we get is the complete and final picture.  VZ will continue to walk a fine line of accuracy when they say they are not pulling our grandfathered unlimited plans, what they ARE doing is, 'incentivizing' that shift. Basically bribing us with 'a good deal on a phone' to change. The best thing that came from this down economy is that we increased our consumer awareness and realized our only power is in our purse. SAD BUT UNDENIABLE. GET ACTIVE PEOPLE SPEAK YOUR MIND BUT DO MORE HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE whether a VZ corp our in WASH DC 

selayan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know once your contract is up, you get charged month by month correct? They do not force you to renew the contract. I have some friends and they had 2 year contracts but since the expiration date ran out and they did not upgrade either, they are billed the same each month. If that is the case once a contract ends, then either buy your "new" data phone online used, paying full price will be ridiculous. Even if you get an older modeI so be it. I  barely use the phone's data although I am always on it, and it goes over 2GB easily.

I wonder say, if you have unlimited data now, contract expires, you buy a phone on ebay, one that you like but is not so new and it is 4G, does your unlimited data still count or because it is 4G you have to switch to a tier structure?

0 Likes
rockinjoey

according to the supervisor i talked to..if i have a  3g phone (fascinate) and at the end of my contract i get a used 3g phone,from amazon , ebay or even a refurb from verizon.. im still in that unlimited package... do i sign another 2 year contract? and do i stilll get unlimited data if i buy my own 4g network phone?

0 Likes
selayan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am guessing and hoping that as long as you don't sign a new contract and you don't buy the phone at a discount through Verizon you will get to keep your data. But most places like amazon or Best buy will try to sell you the phone with a new contract so be careful. It could also be that they put it in wrong and somehow your contract is renewed. I guess you would just tell them you want the phone by itself, no contract. If you look, those phone prices at Best Buy/Amazon include a contract.

0 Likes
rockinjoey

so if i buy a refurbed phone from ..like ebay..  do i pay month to month? or do i have to do a 2 year contract? im confused on that

0 Likes
selayan
Enthusiast - Level 3

At the end of your contract, you will end up paying month to month and you will keep your unlimited data since you did not sign a new contract or buy a phone at the discount of Verizon. I have a company discount at my company of 19% on phones and items but this would require I think signing a new contract.

0 Likes