"Unlimited" games non transferable?!?!
Tsuchida

We have been loyal Verizon costomers for over 4 years, spending over $300USD per month on a family plan with four phones. Last month my wife's enV broke and was no longer under warranty. No biggie. It was ~3years old and had seen some rough times. Kodu to LG for making a robust phone. We debated the iPhone but since Verizon had been good to us with coverage and customer support we decided to purchase another phone online via the "upgrade" feature and stick with them. We decided on the Voyager as it was basically like the old enV we had and WOW...it was buy-one-get-one free. Cool. Wifey and I both get new phones. Awesome..Verizon rules. Right? WRONG!!!! Transfer of contacts and other info was a snap. That was great. When it comes to the games my wife has (over 40 of them and all "unlimited") we were told we would have to repurchase them. At at average of $6.00USD a pop that's ~$240 USD. Ringtones are no better and nine of them at ~$3USD a pop is ~$18USH for a grand total of ~$256USD. What the heck?!?! That's an iPhone!!!

We were NEVER informed the games were "single point licenses" and non-transferable even if you deactive your old phone or if your old phone broke and you had to get a new one. What's the point in "unlimited" then? If my PC crashes then I can reinstall my OS and all my MS utilities without an issue. Heck, I can even "ghost" everything and reinstall in a snap. I'm told the whole Verizon game and ringtone thing is due to licensing agreements and by all means the people that make these games and ringtones should receive their just compensation. I sell software that I code up myself online and even I allow people to transfer from one PC to another, provided they have "proof of purchase".

Short of it is I'm going to a Verizon store after work today and if this doesn't get resolved we'll be switching to iPhones.

BTW: 4 Years ago we had a bad experience with T-Mobile and have told no less than 400 people (grocery stores, restaurants, frends, family, total strangers, etc) to avoid them like the plague. We are more than happy to do so here.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: "Unlimited" games non transferable?!?!
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Hello and welcome.   I'm with you!   I'm going to cut to the chase and just say that what you were told is sadly 100% correct.   But you are 100% correct in being outraged!   I've seen other members in shock over this as well as the verbiage of "unlimited" clearly convey's that those games are yours and when you change devices those games should migrate with you to the new device.   At least that's the impression you get and the assumption most people make when they're given the verbiage of "unlimited".    When in fact it is anything BUT unlimited and in reality is EXTREMELY LIMITED!

The deal is this . . . if your phone (with purchased unlimited games on it) goes down and it is replaced under warranty then you can go to the "media retreival" link under My Verizon within 90 days of obtaining the replacement warranty device and re-download your games to that replacement device.   

However, if you upgrade to a totally new device . . . all you can do with this same "media retreival" link is re-purchase all those games again!    This is rarely ever made fully known to most members and you are not alone in being in utter shock.    I don't think Verizon is really intentionally deceiving anyone . . . but they are CLEARLY choosing to just not divulge what is REALLY going on and what is REALLY meant by "UNLIMITED".     Therein is the problem!    Verizon really could and should make it far more clear at the point of purchase of these games just what the deal is . . . meaning "unlimited" really means these games are LIMITED to only THIS device or an authorized replacement . . . but not an upgraded device!    I mean how hard would it be for them to make this clear.

Yes I know it's all there burried in the fine print but come on Verizon . . . too many good people are getting trapped into this and Verizon you can do better for them in my humble opinion :smileysad:.       I would hate to see you leave and you really should chronicle all of this to somebody in Corporate as this can and should be either changed or made a lot more clear.

dancingphone.gif

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 05-12-2009 02:17 PM
0 Likes
Spanky
Contributor - Level 1

Whoa y'all... your expectation is a little shaky.  While I understand your anger, especially with the sheer volumes of purchases you have made, the assumption that this stuff should be replaced for free is a bit far-fetched.

What you purchased was a specific piece of digital media, designed to be played on a specific device.  You didn't purchase a version for a different "media player."  Again, while I understand you have spent a lot of money on games, imagine it this way:

If I have an X-box, and I own 20 games for it, which I have purchased over the years, I have about $1000.00 tied-up in games.  So, my X-box breaks, but I decide instead of getting another X-box, I will get a Playstation.  Now; they make a LOT of the same games for both game consoles, but having owned a game for an X-box, doesn't mean I automatically get the Playstation version for free...

This is basically what you are thinking;

Owning the game, designed for play on an ENv, doesn't mean that you own the same game for play on a Voyager, any more than owning Mortal Kombat for Playstation means you automatically own it for X-box, too.

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

Spanky wrote:

Whoa y'all... your expectation is a little shaky.  While I understand your anger, especially with the sheer volumes of purchases you have made, the assumption that this stuff should be replaced for free is a bit far-fetched.

What you purchased was a specific piece of digital media, designed to be played on a specific device.  You didn't purchase a version for a different "media player."  Again, while I understand you have spent a lot of money on games, imagine it this way:

If I have an X-box, and I own 20 games for it, which I have purchased over the years, I have about $1000.00 tied-up in games.  So, my X-box breaks, but I decide instead of getting another X-box, I will get a Playstation.  Now; they make a LOT of the same games for both game consoles, but having owned a game for an X-box, doesn't mean I automatically get the Playstation version for free...

This is basically what you are thinking;

Owning the game, designed for play on an ENv, doesn't mean that you own the same game for play on a Voyager, any more than owning Mortal Kombat for Playstation means you automatically own it for X-box, too.

Nice analogy :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Whoa!   Terrible analogy I'm afraid!   With all due respect these people did NOT purchase games from a DIFFERENT platform at all!   This is NO way an XBOX - Playstation comparison.   Totally different platforms.    These games are indeed compatible with and playable on an upgraded new Verizon phone!   We are still in the realm of Verizon my friends.    We didn't hop from Verizon to AT&T or from XBox to Playstation.

Verizon is only going to give you but so many "replacement" phones of the exact same model for a specified time.   When that runs out if you really like that phone and purchase another NEW one via an upgrade just like it . . . you have to pay for those games all over again simply because it's an upgrade and no longer a replacement!    You still have the exact same Xbox don't ya . . . but you gotta repay for all the so-called "Unlimited" games all over again and this is deceptive and wrong.

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes
Spanky
Contributor - Level 1

again, i understand the frustration, but I stand behind the analogy... when a new phone is introduced, applications are re-released by their developer to accomodate the new device; and quite often, older applications never get released for new devices.  Make no bones about it; software developers do not design games for "verizon phones", they design them specifically for the phone models that manufacturers produce.

What you have confused here is the concept that Verizon and At&T are software developers... they aren't.  VZW doesn't write game applications, they simply allow them to be marketed, to their customers, via a virtual download platform... You may be surprised to find out that Verizon Wireless does not even own that platform... it is owned by Qualcomm.  VZW just adds their brand to a product produced by Qualcomm and Many, many software developers.

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

I hear ya Spanky (hey that was my favorite character on the little rascals by the way LOL).    Yes, Verizon isn't the developer of the games (don't really see where anyone said that) but moving along . . . the problem isn't a compatibility issue.   Naturally, if a game isn't compatible with a different phone then you can't possibly be expected to have them go back and re-write the code for your new phone.   I totally agree that this would be crazy!

But the problem here is in some cases the game IS compatible with the next device.   In the scenario I posed once your alloted replacements are expended and you really like THAT phone and go to re-purchase it as an upgraded new phone (now it's the SAME model mind you) . . . Verizon is going to make you re-pay for all those games which ARE compatible!    Their web site makes it crystal clear that only "replacements" are free and upgraded phones (even the same one) must repurchase.   Why???

What started the issue for the OP was the verbiage "Unlimited".    Verizon really should stop using that word because it is too deceptive. If they want you to re-purchase all the games for EACH phone then OK . . . they simply could and should make this a lot more explicit at the point of sale.   I've seen a lot of people misunderstand this and I can see why it's happening.    So I think all that's really necessary here is just a softening of the word "Unlimited" for a more honest and open explanation that it is indeed quite LIMITED  :smileysad:

I can't say much more . . . did enjoy the exchange . . . it's great having knowledgable folks to chat with . . . waving!  :smileyhappy:

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes
Spanky
Contributor - Level 1

Good point with that part... I can see how an exception to that rule should be made for someone who "upgrades to the exact same model of phone."  I can't agree with you more, and I think if I were that customer, I would put a call in to CS to plead my case. 

I will say however, that manufacturers often don't make a particular model long enough to make this a commonplace occurance; not to mention that to the VAST majority of customers, "upgrade" means just that, upgrading to "newer and better."

These not-so-common occurances are why customer service representatives exist.  There is an exception to every rule, and you nailed this one on the head!!  Hopefully, when this does happen, a CS representative would see why the policy should not apply to that customer, and make the exception.

0 Likes
JVSEDI
I have not come across this problem with Verizon.  We have been members since 1988 and have 5 phones on one Family Plan and 2 phones on another plan (maximum allowed is only 5 phones per plan).  I have had my Voyager replaced numerous times....most with a refurb one but I have also had it replaced with a new Titanium because they had no more original black Voyagers.  My daughter has had her Voyager replaced about 4 times and this last time it was a new Titanium via Ascurion.  In all cases, we just redownloaded our games and/or ringtones (cause it was over 90 days from original download purchase) and then I called VZW Customer Service and had them all credited back to my account on the next billing statement.  The one time the rep said that usually they do not do this courtesy service for insurance replaced phones, but she went ahead and credited the games for my daughter's phone anyway.  Granted, we do not have the magnitude of games that you have stated, but I have had this done over 10 times.  Even when we upgraded to new phones.  As long as the game was still available and compatible with our new phone, they went ahead and credited my account.  Maybe I just got lucky each time I called....I don't know.  but I would definitely keep calling until you can talk to someone who will help you out with this.  Again, I did not have the magnitude of games you have mentioned it's only about 10 games I'm referring to.  Good Luck with this issue as I can see where it is upsetting that you have just lost all that money for games......hopefully a "happy medium" or settlement can be reached.
0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Hello!   I'm so glad you posted and confirmed that indeed a good number of these games are compatible with "other" devices.   Verizon currently has something like 45 active phones in their lineup (give or take) and no game manufacturer is going to write code for the same game for 45 different phone models.   Quite the opposite in fact.   They are going to write code to cover as many models as they can so they "DON'T" have to write so many versions of the same game.    You're experience proves that if Verizon wants to they very much can migrate those games over to multiple different devices and do it quite often at that!

dancingphone.gif

0 Likes