simultaneous voice and data iPhone
shocking3

I have been going through different threads about advanced calling/VoLTE and I am confused about what I should expect when I upgrade from my iPhone 5S to the new iPhone that will be coming out this fall.

My biggest concern is the ability to call anyone I want when AC/VoLTE is turned off. I understand that it may not be a true HD call if I am calling a Sprint customer, but will I need to turn the feature off before I am able to make/receive calls from people with other carriers? Also, I read that some people are experiencing dropped calls and degraded service when the feature is turned on, is this still happening? I live in a metro area that has a really good LTE footprint. I will be making a long distance road trip later this year, will I have to worry about dropped calls if I go through an area that switchs from LTE to 3G?

I read a post by rcschnoor back on 10/31/2014(the post is titled “Why cant i talk and surf at the same time?”. The post had the following information:

“VoLTE in and of itself does not require both phones to be using VoLTE at the time of a call. Advanced Calling 1.0 DOES, but that also gives you additional capabilities such as video which are not available simply on VoLTE but not Advanced Calling 1.0.”

What is the difference between advanced calling and VoLTE, and how do I turn it/them on/off? Does this mean I have to make a choice between being able to make a video call over LTE to another VZW subscriber and being able to make and receive VoLTE calls to non VZW people? Am I not able to do both? Is there any situation other then being outside of LTE coverage that I would not be able to google something while on a phone call?

Any info about this feature would be much appreciated, thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: simultaneous voice and data iPhone
Weth
Legend

From he other side, I have Advanced Calling on all the time.  The coverage in our area is excellent and I no longer get dropped calls like when it first went live.  You set it and forget it, all calls work no matter where it is going or coming from.

WHen end you turn it on, all calls are VoLTE but only calls to other Verizon customers with Advanced Calling are HD voice.  I have now come to depend on simultaneous voice and data. 

Bottom line, if you live in a good LTE coverage area, and you want simultaneous voice/data, turn it on and Forget about it. 

1 Correction to sprmankalel, VoLTE / Advanced Calling is available in all markets nationwide.  If you have a Verizon LTE signal, you have the feature. 

View solution in original post

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

shocking3 wrote:

I have been going through different threads about advanced calling/VoLTE and I am confused about what I should expect when I upgrade from my iPhone 5S to the new iPhone that will be coming out this fall.

My biggest concern is the ability to call anyone I want when AC/VoLTE is turned off. I understand that it may not be a true HD call if I am calling a Sprint customer, HD calling is only available on calls from VZW to VZW and only on compatible devices with Advanced Calling enabled. but will I need to turn the feature off before I am able to make/receive calls from people with other carriers? No. You enable the feature and the device knows which calls are compatible. Also, I read that some people are experiencing dropped calls and degraded service when the feature is turned on, is this still happening? I live in a metro area that has a really good LTE footprint. I will be making a long distance road trip later this year, will I have to worry about dropped calls if I go through an area that switchs from LTE to 3G? On your trip you will be subject to Verizon's coverage. You may experience spotty service depending on where you are but VZW does have the largest network.

I read a post by rcschnoor back on 10/31/2014(the post is titled “Why cant i talk and surf at the same time?”. The post had the following information:

“VoLTE in and of itself does not require both phones to be using VoLTE at the time of a call. Advanced Calling 1.0 DOES, but that also gives you additional capabilities such as video which are not available simply on VoLTE but not Advanced Calling 1.0.”

What is the difference between advanced calling and VoLTE, Advanced calling is the feature that lets 2 VZW customers with compatible devices speak with HD quality and also video chat with no third party applications. VoLTE is short for Voice Over LTE which is basically VoIP or Voice Over Internet Protocol. This means that your calls would could over LTE (data) and not the CDMA network that VZW uses now. This is only available in certain markets. Verizon has to put up LOTS more towers for this to be the standard.  and how do I turn it/them on/off? Does this mean I have to make a choice between being able to make a video call over LTE to another VZW subscriber and being able to make and receive VoLTE calls to non VZW people? No. Your device, in conjunction with the network, will do this automatically. Am I not able to do both? Is there any situation other then being outside of LTE coverage that I would not be able to google something while on a phone call? To the best of my knowledge with iPhone you must have Advanced Calling enabled to be able to use voice and data at the same time. Then you must also be in LTE.

Any info about this feature would be much appreciated, thanks.

For what it's worth, I avoid AC. There is no benefit to me. I do not talk to people who have devices capable of it. It is not a feature that I absolutely need.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

From he other side, I have Advanced Calling on all the time.  The coverage in our area is excellent and I no longer get dropped calls like when it first went live.  You set it and forget it, all calls work no matter where it is going or coming from.

WHen end you turn it on, all calls are VoLTE but only calls to other Verizon customers with Advanced Calling are HD voice.  I have now come to depend on simultaneous voice and data. 

Bottom line, if you live in a good LTE coverage area, and you want simultaneous voice/data, turn it on and Forget about it. 

1 Correction to sprmankalel, VoLTE / Advanced Calling is available in all markets nationwide.  If you have a Verizon LTE signal, you have the feature. 

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Same here. I have it on all of the time and have since the day I got the iPhone 6 (and subsequently upgraded to the 6+ a few months later). I have never had an issue with it and it works perfectly for me. I used to encounter one small dead spot (literally the size of a driveway opening) but that was expected as it was a trouble spot long before this feature and phone. It hasn't been a trouble spot since February so now I don't experience dropped calls at all.

0 Likes