surge in data usage
MARFOR90

Hello,

I need to understand why data usage has gone up so much over the last 2-3 months or more. I used to have a plan that was 8 gigs and barely used 4-5 between me and my boyfriend. Then over night our data has gone over 16 gigs in 2 weeks. I have changed my plan twice to accommodate this surge but I just don't see why it is happening.

Can you tell me what the categories social apps web, and video consists of.  Please be specific. I want to get to the bottom of this because it is ridiculous.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: surge in data usage
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you viewed the data usage section on your devices to see what's using your data?

0 Likes
MARFOR90

Yes. I would like Verizon to define the categories they list for data usage specifically to the apps. For social apps, web and video. Does YouTube fall under social apps?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

MARFOR90 wrote:

Yes. I would like Verizon to define the categories they list for data usage specifically to the apps. For social apps, web and video. Does YouTube fall under social apps?

Sent from my iPhone

Just look at your devices they will tell you EXACTLY what is using the data You don't need to look at Verizon vague descriptions. No offense but how in 2018 do people still not now how to look up app data usage? You r device should be able to tell you EXACTLY how much data YouTube is using, And even differentiate between movie and wi-fi data. And for the record video can use a lot of data

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MARFOR90, we understand your concern regarding the usage. I would be as well if I noticed an increase in data charges. There are a few ways that you can view what has used data. One of them being on your phone however, it will be beneficial if you reset the statics each bill cycle. What make and model phone do you have?  I see you are aware to view the Data Utilization chart online. YouTube falls under the category of Video not Social Media. Has anything recently changed on either devices in question?

Tionna_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MARFOR90

Hello,

Something is very wrong. I checked my usage compared to my boyfriend. I have A LOT of apps he has only a few. My face book app shows more usage than his, and yet his total app usage is 13 g and mine is 3. It doesn’t make sense. Could this be a problem with his phone? He can not be using that much data for the few apps he is using.

Can you please look into this. Up until June we were fine and then things changed.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

This is a customer to customer forum and even the CS reps that come here have no idea who you are or what apps you ae using. Just look as his device it shows what apps his device is using what how much data they are using. It's not that difficult. What is his device? He could have downloaded an app that uses a lot of data. Or maybe it's using a lot of background data. Or maybe he has auto-updates  on. You give hardly information to go on

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing us with these additional details MARFOR90, it is always good to clarify on the usage of your lines to avoid any confusion. Now, just to clarify the number of apps on a device will not affect the amount of usage on a line, you can have one or two apps and still use a lot of data. Could you let us know what is normally used on the devices? Have there been any recent changes or new apps being used?

Alfredo_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes