time limits for upgrades?
farris804

I was just wondering if there are time limits/expirations for phone upgrades?  I'm eligible for an upgrade on the 27th but want to wait maybe for a whole another year. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: time limits for upgrades?
Not applicable

No, because it has nothing to do with your old, expired contract.  It's all about the new contract you will sign.  By signing a new 2 year contract and agreeing to make 24 monthly payments, Verizon gives you a huge discount on your new phone.

CHRISTYMOM13

WISH I COULD HELP YOU HUN, BUT I NOTICED THAT I WAS DUE FOR AN UPGRADE ON 12/2013. I WENT TO CHECK TODAY JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT & SAID I'M ELIGIBLE ON 4/2014 !!!!! I AM SO ANGRY

0 Likes
Not applicable

You're never "due" for an upgrade.  That's a slick marketing scheme to get people to buy new phones before they need to.  Does you car company tell you when you are "due" for a new car?  Is it really a big deal to wait another 4 months to buy a new phone?  If it is, pay full retail price.  Verizon should get rid of subsidized phones altogether and let everyone pay full price.

0 Likes
peridot028

Same thing happened to me!  I was previously eligible for an upgrade 9/13.  Now it's stating I'm not eligible until 1/14.  Seriously?  I had read somewhere that they were extending the contracts to 24 months for those that have an expiration date after January 2014 but I was eligible in Sept!  Shouldn't those that already had contracts in force be grandfathered anyway?  We did sign contracts. God forbid WE change something in the contract.  I didn't receive anything personally saying they were going to do this.  Seems they're going in the wrong direction as far as contracts are concerned.  Others are doing away with contracts. Very upset!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Where is your contract does it say anything about future subsidized upgrades in 20 months?  You already received your discount for signing your current contract.  Verizon can change anything they want regarding future contracts.  Customers can decide at that time whether or not they want to sign a new contract.

0 Likes
farris804

Thanks for the answers I just wanted to make sure because I thought I read somewhere (can't remember where) that you lose the discounted upgrade price in 6months or a year after upgrade eligibility date. 

I've also read that they did change the upgrade dates from 20 months to the full 24 months of the contract.  I'd have to look up when the effective date of that change was.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, but that's a non-issue for you since you are actually planning to go 36 months.  Just remember, that once your contract has expired (24 months), there are absolutely no guarantees what the terms and conditions will be tomorrow, much less 12 months from now.  People here don't seem to understand that.

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

They're not extending the contract to 24 months, that's what it's always been.  They're just making it so there's no more early upgrades 20 months into the 24 months.  I don't get what the big deal is, another 4 months won't kill you, or if you're desparate pay full retail.

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

There is no expiration for when you can extend your contract and get an upgrade, I waited almost 3 years and no problem.

0 Likes