transfer my phone number from a phone without a sim to one with a sim
antcc

Hello, I have a Samsung Gusto 2 phone and I'm trying to order iphone 12 but I want to keep my old number. When I'm at the check out it asks me do I want to transfer my old number or get a new one but when i but in the information about my number it tells me I'm already a verizon customer and wont let me transfer it. My question is do I need to take a new number then call in to have you change it or do I need to have you do that when I'm ordering the new phone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: transfer my phone number from a phone without a sim to one with a sim
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@antcc wrote:

its a prepaid and it just gives me the option to add a line but upgrade is grayed out.

Prepaid accounts are a different beast. I don't fully understand it fully, but most of what I have seen in the past on the forum is you need to call into the prepaid sales department to make sure your plan will support the upgrade and transfer your line and funds as needed to support the new phone. Also you technically can't upgrade with prepaid. You have to purchase the new phone at the full retail price in one lump sum. The device payment agreement option isn't available for prepaid accounts.

With you switching from a basic phone to a smartphone, there might be other considerations. The main one being if you have a basic phone plan. You have to switch to a smartphone prepaid plan. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

antcc How exciting to get a new phone. What you want to select when you go online to your My Verizon is (upgrade). If you select upgrade, you keep the same number. Please open the following link and select replace/upgrade to get started. https://www.verizon.com/onesearch/search?q=Upgrade%20Phone&lid=sayt&sayt=upgrade*-Dolores

0 Likes
antcc

it wont let me select the upgrade option.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you on a postpaid or prepaid account?

Did you start the order as an upgrade on the line with the Gusto 2 or not? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
antcc

pre paid

0 Likes
antcc

its a prepaid and it just gives me the option to add a line but upgrade is grayed out.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@antcc wrote:

Prepaid accounts are a different beast. I don't fully understand it fully, but most of what I have seen in the past on the forum is you need to call into the prepaid sales department to make sure your plan will support the upgrade and transfer your line and funds as needed to support the new phone. Also you technically can't upgrade with prepaid. You have to purchase the new phone at the full retail price in one lump sum. The device payment agreement option isn't available for prepaid accounts.

With you switching from a basic phone to a smartphone, there might be other considerations. The main one being if you have a basic phone plan. You have to switch to a smartphone prepaid plan. 

antcc

thanks, ill do that.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh dear. What seems to be going on when you trying to select the option to upgrade your line, antcc? If you prefer, you can go to the new phone you want on our website while logged in, and add it to your cart. When you proceed to order the new phone, you'll be prompted to choose if it is a new line or an upgrade for one of the lines on the account. When upgrading, your number is transferred to the new phone, so you can rest assured you'll keep your same number with the new phone. *Zaak