verizon app manager just downloaded an app
fuzzydumpling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some game called "Blocks" was just downloaded without my permission by the Verizon app manager.  It looks suspicious and like something that was made 20 years ago, please help and/or explain what is going on!?!?

Re: verizon app manager just downloaded an app
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out. That does seem a bit odd. Were you able to delete the app off the phone? 

-Kevin

0 Likes
fuzzydumpling
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to delete it thankfully.

My question, I suppose is, was this an install initiated by verizon?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a good question. We are not able to install anything on your phone. This is not something anyone can do without having access to your actual phone, downloading an app or accept terms to download it on your phone which must be accepted during the download process. I suggest putting a lock so it is not used by someone else but you.

-Angie

0 Likes
fuzzydumpling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Angie,

It notified me that it was installed by the Verizon app manager.

I think we lost my original question. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would recommend uninstalling any app that is not secure. 

*Heather

0 Likes
MrTim42
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon App Manager just suddenly decided to download Candy Crush for me. The "unsecure application" in this case appears to be Verizon Download Manager. Since I can't uninstall it, I've disabled it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this.  A  private message is being sent to assist you further.

-Sean

0 Likes
dornadigital
Enthusiast - Level 1

"We are not able to install anything on your phone" is a blatant lie, as indicated by the discussion locked in https://community.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Wireless-Services/Verizon-App-Manager-Apps-downloading-with... where a Customer Support rep states that the Verizon App Manager is used to download Verizon apps.

This happened to me as well. Both "*Solitaire*" and "Blocks" were downloaded to my phone with no warning/acknowledgement phase by the Verizon App Manager. My guess is that they have a business partnership with Verizon to get their apps on more people's phones.

Disable the Verizon App Manager. It has no benefits, and installs bloatware without your consent.

To Verizon: The thread I linked is literally the first Google result when searching for "Verizon App Manager". It is full of people dissatisfied with the program, demanding to know why it's installing what it's installing, and asking for a PUBLIC explanation of its behavior. Either you're partnering with other companies to install their apps on people's phones (technically allowed in TOS, even if I find it scummy) or your App Manager is a major security hole that allows external actors to install apps. I think all of us would prefer it to be the former.

fuzzydumpling
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you dornadigital.  I know what I saw, and I really resent the way the verizon representative blew off my concerns and wasn't honest in their answer.

Verizon, piece of advice be the company that benefits your users the most and you will find yourslef with the most loyal customers.