why do I need to give 20% down on phone upgrades
kiv715
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am writing because I am very very upset.

My family and I went to a Verizon Wireless Store yesterday to upgrade our phones.!

We really NEED new phones.

I was told after picking out the phones, new cases and talked into replacing my tablet.

We WERE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED - to say the least - when the clerk told me that I would have to pay a deposit of 20% on each phone.

With the taxes, I was told that I would have to pay over $700. in order to walk out with the phones.

Just where am I to get this money?

I have been with Verizon since the Christmas of 2012.

Since then, (according to my history of payments which I copied from your website)....I HAVE PAID A TOTAL OF....... $16542.70!!!

I currently have 5 open lines on my account. Where am I going?

I have always praised Verizon's customer service. This has really made me change my mind.

I feel STUCK!

Stuck with a phone service that until recently has been extremely overpriced and STUCK with cracked screens and dying batteries.

What can I do? Switch to another carrier? NO! I don't want to leave Verizon!

How can I afford to pay a down payment of such magnitude?

Please can SOMEBODY HELP ME?

Labels (1)
Re: why do I need to give 20% down on phone upgrades
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important to us that you have the perfect phone for your needs, kiv715 and I’m happy to help you today. We want to be sure you get the best value from any purchase you make and we can understand the concern about the down payment.

I was able to send you a private message to take a closer look at the account. I look forward to working with you and discussing your upgrade options.

SteveR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm guessing your credit rating and/or your payment history is requiring the down payment for the purchases.

Have you considered purchasing phones elsewhere or selecting less expensive devices?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

You're not STUCK, it's a choice. Maybe consider fixing screens and replacing batteries until you can afford what you WANT.

HouseofCortez
Enthusiast - Level 3

Vote with your wallet my friend there are plenty of other companies that will finance your phones if you google it.  I plan on leaving as well for this same reason despite me spending thousands of dollars  with them.   But hey when your phone service is out your expected to just be patient with them but the same won't happen for you. 

0 Likes
HouseofCortez
Enthusiast - Level 3

Vote with your wallet my friend there are plenty of other companies that will finance your phones if you google it.  I plan on leaving as well for this same reason despite me spending thousands of dollars  with them.   But hey when your phone service is out your expected to just be patient with them but the same won't happen for you. Ebay and Swappa are your friends. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HouseofCortez I'm sad to learn you feel this way. I'm not sure why you were required to provide a 20% down payment but I would be happy to look into it for you. I have sent you a Private message here on this platform.

-Dolores

0 Likes
BCOMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well down payments are based on your credit. You can’t really do anything but pay or upgrade once you improve your credit. It’s not based on how long you’ve been a customer or the amount of money spent. 

0 Likes
BCOMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

If your credit requires a down payment that isn’t on Verizon. Yes some will accept lower ratings. If that’s what you need to do the company is letting you know you aren’t what they r looking for in a customer. U can either pay, move on or improve your finances. That isn’t a fault on vzw. That’s on you. 

0 Likes