wi fi speed different with mifi and phone hotspot at same location
GERMYH0

From the same location my mifi 7730L delivers about 4 Mbps to my laptop while my Motorola phone hot spot delivers about 12.  Why

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: wi fi speed different with mifi and phone hotspot at same location
bearone21
Legend

the network will deliver 5-12mbps at best.

is the hotspot wifi, it'll be faster?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

different hardware. If $25 router worked the same as $250 one no on would by the $250 one. Also is each hotspot in the exact same location?

0 Likes
GERMYH0

I originally had just the mifi hot spot and would get 11-12 speed with it but when I added the phone to the plan the speed decreased to its present lower speed.  It would seem that Verizon cut the speed to my wifi hot spot when I added the phone.  It does not appear that the Verizon signal strength changed as the phone is capable of the higher speed.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

what if you buy the expensive router & your isp doesn't support it??

i replaced with an el-cheapo netgear, pay for 50mbps & generally see around 90 on ookla tests.

buying expensive isn't always the best idea i've found.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand how seeing 2 different speeds on your hotspot and MiFi device can cause some concern. Both speeds fall within the 4G range. We can't always guarantee how fast the 4G speeds will be. Let's dig a little deeper. Have you tried connecting another device to the MiFi to test the speeds? If so what happened? I also want you to power off the MiFi and power it back on. After powering it back on test the speeds. Let me know what happens.  

JustinB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes