Anyone else having problems using Entourage 2008 with port 465?
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

We all know by now that Verizon needs us to change our email settings. I've resisted because everytime I change the SMTP server settings to: smtp.verizon.net, enable SSL, and put in port 465, I CANNOT send emails properly.

I say "properly," because here's what happens. I compose an email and hit send. I then get an immediate error message saying that the email could not sent. But it appears in my outbox. So I open it and hit send again. Same thing. Then I open it a second time from the outbox and hit send and it finally sends. This happens on EVERY email (with or without attachments). And it happens on both of my macs running Entourage 2008. When I change the settings back to: outgoing.verizon.net, no SSL, and port 25 -- everythings works perfectly.

The new settings do work on my iphone. So I'm wondering if Entourage 2008 is the problem.

Has anyone else encourntered this problem?

Thanks for your help. 

Redfran

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else having problems using Entourage 2008 with port 465?
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

This is the error message I receive when I try to send:

Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.

Error 3170

After 2 or 3 tries, it will finally send.

Thanks.

0 Likes
TwoWolves

I have Entourage 2004, Version 11.4.0, running on a MacBook Pro.  Here are the settings that worked for me after much trial and error:

For Sending Mail, click on Advanced and enter all the information as provided by Verizon. All three boxes must be checked: (SMP service requires SSL, Override port 465, and SMTP service requires authentication.)

Do NOT select the circle "Use same settings as receiving mail server.

For Account ID, enter the username that you use to log into your account at Verizon, and the same password.  (If you are not sure, go to Verizon.com and click on Residential, then log on.)

For Receiving mail, click on advanced and checkmark the first line: POP service requires secure connection.

In Overide default POP port, enter port 995, but do NOT chek the check box.

Do NOT check the checkbox for Always use secure password.

I want to thank Microsoft Support for identifying that, in Receiving mail, only the POP sevice requires secure connection needs to be checked

0 Likes
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Hi TwoWolves,

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately, those settings didn't work for me. I continue to get the same error message I listed above when I try to send an email. Then the unsent email goes into the outbox. I open it and try to resend. Sometimes it sends and sometimes I get the error message and it goes back into the outbox. I repeat this insane process until it sends. It does eventually send, but it takes multiple times. Incredibly frustrating.

Do you (or anyone out there) know what could cause this type of behavior? Everything works perfectly using port 25.

Thanks again.

Redfran

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

In this thread, several users were able to resolve their Eudora SMTP issues by adding the line "SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5" to their .ini file.

Maybe Entourage has a similar issue?

0 Likes
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your help.

I read through the thread. It sounds like something worth a try. But I'm not sure how to add the line to Entourage 2008 for Mac. There are no .ini files in Entourage. 

Do you know how I might go about adding that line into Entourage? 

Thanks,

Redfran

0 Likes
gmstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3

Me too!

Finally tried to comply with Verizon’s “THIRD AND FINAL WARNING”

“to change the settings on my email server”; despite numerous postings

saying it didn’t work, you should keep current settings, sometime in the

future it will inevitably be required. Tried; New settings don’t work;  now

going back to old settings DISABLES my outgoing email.

Verizon doesn’t even recognize the problem, nor give me a human voice

to talk to. Many frustrating dead-ends trying to navigate their Byzantine

website: 1.” web-link for guidance just leads to an ad for Verizon’s email.

2. Their automaton has extensive decision-tree links that do not even let

you ask about VERIZON’S REQUEST. 3. Verizon’s “chat forum”

has similar problems checked off as “solved” w/non-solutions.

4. finally found way to “live chat” = typing to someone in India

who mostly says “I’m sorry”.

Still my email is silenced DUE TO TRYING TO COMPLY W/VERIZON

DIRECTIVE. They caused a problem yet WON’T EVEN RECOGNIZE IT!

Makes me physically nauseous/dizzy. REMIND YOU OF ANYTHING?

“Error : Error in sending email An error was reported in response to a recipient address.

The SMTP server may refuse to handle mail for unknown recipients.

The following email could not be sent.”

0 Likes
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Update:  My email problems continue ... but to a slightly lesser extent. It's gone from infuriating to extremely aggravating!

Now, about 1 in every 3 emails sends fine. The other two times, same issue, same error message I posted previously, and same workaround solution (I have to retreive the unsent mail from the outbox and resend it. Then it usually sends). Why?

I've tried a number of the solutions listed here, but nothing seems to fix it.

If anyone has gotten Entourage For Mac to work flawlessly with these new settings, please post the magic recipe.

Thanks,

Redfran

0 Likes
Delasteve1

to just clarify one thing from TwoWolves very helpful post...in the "sending mail" ID section when you type in your account ID - be sure to type in just the ID NOT the domain...so for example, SAMPLEID@verizon.net would be wrong - just plain SAMPLEID should be used. His or her directions were spot on - log into your account and make sure you match what it says is your Account ID.  I thought I was going crazy until i did this.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Redfran wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I read through the thread. It sounds like something worth a try. But I'm not sure how to add the line to Entourage 2008 for Mac. There are no .ini files in Entourage. 

Do you know how I might go about adding that line into Entourage? 

Thanks,

Redfran

Already mentioned

Do NOT check the checkbox for Always use secure password.  That is what the ini file setting was changing for Eudora. 

0 Likes