I thought I posted this early today but it didn't show up, so here I go again. The email says to do the following:
1. Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
2. Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
3. Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
4. Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465 Why is this important?
5. Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
Using the Accounts Preferences in Mail, I see where to change the incoming and outgoing mail server and where to enable SSL. However, the Preference only has a single place to specify "Port" i.e. it doesn't distinguish between incoming and outgoing port numbers. So how do I do that?
Also, I had asked whether I should do these changes as other threads in this forum seem to indicate that it can be problematic.
Any email. I had to revert to the old settings, so that I can get emails.
Verizon did not test their changes very well