Can't access Verizon e-mail through Outlook or smartphone (since 5/21)
DebbieCarterPA

I see that a thread was started on 5/21 about this problem, but some people said the problem was resolved later that morning. Someone else said that if a person was still having the problems, a new thread should be started, so that's what I'm doing.

I made the server changes that were specified a couple of weeks ago, and things were still working fine until around 2:30 PM (Eastern Time) on May 21.  (We're travelling, but I had gotten e-mail through Outlook 2010 that morning between 7 and 8:00, and I received e-mail through my smartphone until some time after 2:28 PM.)

I'm travelling in Canada, and I don't have an international calling or data plan on my phone, so I used online chat that evening (through the hotel's Wi-Fi) to try to reconcile the problem.  This was complicated by my account having been locked, due to unsuccessful online login attempts, but after we got that straightened out, I could log in through Webmail but still not through Outlook or the Android app on my phone.  The support rep even used VPN to check my Outlook settings (which were all fine), and she even set up an access account through Windows Live Mail (which I hadn't used), but the same problems occurred there.

Her conclusion was that the problem was at my end, through my ISP.  I asked if she meant at the hotel where I was using Wi-Fi, and she said, "yes."  However, as I explained, it seemed awfully coincidental that I had the same problem at the restaurant (a few miles away). Since we weren't getting any farther, I decided I would wait until we were at the next place, also hoping Verizon would resolve the problem in the meantime. Now (4 days later) I've tried this at two other hotels and at least a few restaurants, and I've had the same problems everywhere, and my search in this forum has confirmed that other people have had problems that started the same day as mine started.

Is anyone still having similar problems?  I understand that problems can occur any time there are massive changes, but it's been over 4 days and this is really inconvenient!  (I don't have an address book set up in webmail, so I have to cross-check everything with Outlook open.)

Debbie

0 Likes
Re: Can't access Verizon e-mail through Outlook or smartphone (since 5/21)
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would have thought that they wouldn't restrict Canada's ISPs but know many other international ISP are restricted. 

0 Likes
NMP1

I've made those same changes to my Android (I already had those settings on my Thunderbird) and have had no issues until today. (5/26)

Neither phone nor T-Bird will accept my Verizon password. Web access works just fine, but the 2 clients I use daily...

0 Likes
PekingDuck

I have had exactly the same issue.  Turns out Norton Internet Security that I had on my computer was blocking access to Verizon's POP3 and SMTP servers.  Everything worked fine once I turned that off

0 Likes
Tomm-info

I had a problem with Outlook and went to get support help from India? That didn't help, but they were nice.

I found the solution myself. The new port settings need to be changed in the client (Outlook and others), but you also have to change the port settings in the router. Does this look familiar?

Be careful with the router stuff. It's like changing the registry in the computer. If you mess it up my might have to call somebody to fix it.

I'm using a computer. I don't know how this would work with a smartphone or whatever else.

Does it surprise you that verizon would not mention that information? Maybe they prefer that we use web mail only.

First go into advanced settings then protocols. You'll see that the old port settings are listed.

To get into the router setting an ip address must entered where the page address goes at the browser.  I can't remember what it was exactly. It's probably different where you are located. You can find out by getting verizon router setting info. 

Make sure that you write everything down first.

0 Likes
Scoop8
Contributor - Level 1

I wonder if this current issue with Outlook is restricted to mobile/phone devices?  I'm running Outlook 2003 on 2 PC's at home, one Desktop and one Laptop, and both have been ok since mid-morning 05/21 (U.S. time).

Is anyone having Outlook Send/Receive issues with their Desktop or Laptop PC platforms?

I'm running Norton AV but it's an older version, "N360".  I've read over at the Norton Forum where someone was having problems with their Outlook Send/Receive with the new Norton AV product "NIS"  (Norton Internet Security) as member PekingDuck mentioned earlier in this thread.

Perhaps this is related to later versions of Outlook, 2007,10,13 ?  it would seem odd if that was the case though, since my outdated 2003 version is working ok.

I haven't changed any settings in my Router but that may be due to my older-model Router not requiring any changes for my Outlook ports to operate normally

Router Info: Westell A90-9100M15-10 (91OOEM)

0 Likes
DebbieCarterPA

Coincidentally (or maybe not), the afternoon of the day following the day on which I posted this message, I finally got access through both Outlook (2010) and the Android e-mail app on my smartphone.  I have no explanation for why it worked that afternoon but hadn't worked during the preceding days from several different locations. (I'm still vacationing in Canada.)

Thank you for all of your replies and suggestions.  I've been able to read all of them, but when I tried to reply, I got taken to a screen to ask me to set up a new ID. (This may be related to a complication of moving from northern NJ (FIOS) to Lancaster, PA (DSL) 4 years ago and trying to use the e-mail address from the NJ account, which I had ported from PA a few years before that.  I don't want to remember how many hours I spent on the phone with tech support, being volleyed back and forth from FIOS to DSL support, trying to get that straightened out.  But I digress...)  In any case, "magically," I was able to reply this evening.

0 Likes