Re: Cannot access verizon email while overseas I am in the UK and cannot access webmail, why?
JoeH2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had no problem accessing Verizon webmail from the UK or from Denmark (where I am now).  In fact that was how I was able to overcome Verizon's blocking SMTP access to email from my iphone and laptop's email application.  I used webmail to autoforward email to another email account such as gmail, which does not block access from an overseas IP address.

If gmail and other US-based email services took Verizon's lead in blocking access from foreign IP addresses, we'd all be in trouble.

I too am annoyed at Verizon not bothering to notify its customers that it was blocking direct email access to its users overseas who use WiFi or otherwise log onto an an overseas IP service.  We are they so reluctant to tell us?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot access verizon email while overseas
NPrincen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Am in Switzerland on vacation at my parents-in-law.  Like everyone in this thread, I cannot access my webmail easily, but found a work-around.  Verizon may not like it, but I managed to log in by going to the Services tab at the top of the Verizon Residential website.  Click on any of the offers to get new service.  Verizon will ask you for your address.  It will then ask you if you are the owner of current service and want to upgrade.  Click Yes, and then it asks for your account login details.  For some reason, this allows entering Verizon's system.  Then, you can go to My Verizon and click on WebMail to get to your email.  This is the only way I have found to log in while away.  It is a pain to do and does not keep you logged in, so you need to do it every time.

Funny that Verizon blocks logging into WebMail from foreign IP addresses, but does allow you to sign up for new services from a foreign IP address.  LOL!  Talk about capitalism at its finest!  Take orders for new service, but don't provide the service once someone is signed up.  I hate Verizon and wish I had a choice of another high speed intenet provider in my area.

0 Likes
cartracks

I just returned from a trip to France, The Netherlands and Belgium and encountered the same problem.

I had no trouble sending or receiving from most of France using my Windows 7 laptop and Thunderbird.  Then when I stayed at a B&B near Compiegne, north of Paris, I could receive without problem but had a great deal of trouble sending through the SMTP server.  Either it would not respond or, if it did, sending an e-mail with about ten (reduced size) jpg photos attached could take half an hour -- if it didn't abort while sending, which it usually did. 

In The Netherlands, I could receive but not send at all.  I'd receive an error message that a certain IP address was blocked.  Verizon chat help in India told me that they didn't recognize the IP address reported as blocked and told me it must be my hotel's fault.  The hotel's ISP, Swisscom, denied this and said Verizon was the problem. 

In Belgium, I couldn't receive or send with Thunderbird at all.  I could still access Verizon webmail from all locations but to send multiple photos with it is a real pain.

The last night of the trip, at a hotel at Charles de Gaulle, I could send and receive with Thunderbird without problem.  Verizon must like France.  At least parts of it. 

0 Likes
Snowdon1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is still an ongoing problem.  Just returned from two weeks in London and unable to log-in.  Called Verizon and got nowhere.  I asked them if the Chairman of Verizon would be able to log-in if he went to London and, after some thought, they said no.  I beg to differ!

0 Likes