Deleting messages on server with Outlook Express when using several computers
bearsfolks
Enthusiast - Level 3

I access my e-mail using several computers.  On my main computer, I use XP and Outlook Express, where the accounts are set to delete messages on server (i.e., "Leave a copy of messages on server" is not checked).  On all the other computers, which use Windows Live Mail, "Leave a copy of messages on server" is checked.  Until a few months ago, this was running just fine. 

Now, when I use the main computer to download messages, it will delete them as far as the main computer is concerned, but it retains them as far as the other computers are concerned.  What I mean is that when I download messages, say, message 1, 2, 3, on the main computer, and get back on later on the same computer, it will only download new messages, say, 4 and 5, as it should.  However, if I then check my messages using one of the other computers, it will download the old, supposedly deleted, messages also, i.e., messages 1 to 5, before downloading any newer messages, e.g., 6 and 7.  This is really a nuisance, as there are some computers that I only use occasionally, e.g., when I travel.

How can I fix this?

TIA.

0 Likes
Re: Deleting messages on server with Outlook Express when using several computers
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

bearsfolks,

This all depends on what order you download your email. If the main PC is used first to download all email and delete messages from server is selected it should delete them. If the computer is setup to save a copy on the server and the email client is set to automatically download email, then the email would download when the PC is in use. Email clients are third party software and it is based on the what the customer sets up for their personal preferences.

Thanks,

Tonya D

0 Likes
Re: Deleting messages on server with Outlook Express when using several computers
Malcom
Enthusiast - Level 2

One of my computers uses Outlook Express on Windows XP.  the other (a laptop) uses Vista and Vista mail.  The laptop always deletes all messages from the server, when checking email.  Verizon help says to check the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" setting.  I can't find this setting anywhere on either ot the two computers or at Verizon.  Can you tell me how to find and correct this problem?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Several common tricks may help you.

One is to set only the one machine to delete messages from the server, but not to delete them immediately but after say 14 days.

Be sure to adjust in case you need to not use that machine for a while when you expect to be somewhere else.

The option varies in location, but most if not all, clients have it.  Usually somewhere in account settings.

0 Likes
Malcom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon help says to "make sure you specify to save your messages on the verizon server by checking the Leave a cipy of messages on the server setting.".  I cannot find this option and need someone to show me where to find it so I can chek it.  Also, is it on my computer or on the Verizon website that I look for it.  I have looked over both my computer email settings and verizon email settings and cannot find it.  All I need is for someone to explain where it is.  It's probably so simple that no one believes I need help to do this, but I do!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Malcom wrote:

Verizon help says to "make sure you specify to save your messages on the verizon server by checking the Leave a cipy of messages on the server setting.".  I cannot find this option and need someone to show me where to find it so I can chek it.  Also, is it on my computer or on the Verizon website that I look for it.  I have looked over both my computer email settings and verizon email settings and cannot find it.  All I need is for someone to explain where it is.  It's probably so simple that no one believes I need help to do this, but I do!

Not on the Website on your email client.  What email client are you using? 

For example for Windows Live Mail (the latest successor to Outlook express, outlook express not being available on windows 7 which I run) its options, email accounts, (select your mail account),  advanced tab on properties.  I seem to remember it being very similar on outlook express.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just tried running virutal xp under windows 7.  Options in outlook express 6 is under tools, accounts, mail tab, select your accounts advanced tab. 

Malcom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found it1  Thanks thanks thanks and kudos.  My laptop  has Vista and Widows Mail.  Kudos and thanks again!

0 Likes