Re: Email I received regarding changing settings by Dec. 2
cko2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got exactly the same problem! Get identical error  message when trying to send email with the new 995/465 settings on Outlook Express

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

has anyone tried using port 587 for outgoing?

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

@logan8 wrote:

Hi Logan8,

Yes, I've tried port 587 for outgoing. No luck.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pekoe6 wrote:

@logan8 wrote:

Hi Logan8,

Port 587 is for non-ssl.  It is allowed for yahoo using startTLS (communication starts in clear and changes to ssl/tls), but not allowed for the regular Verizon smtp.verizon.net (ssl/tls).

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

@pekoe6 wrote:

@logan8 wrote:

Hi Logan8,

Port 587 is for non-ssl.  It is allowed for yahoo using startTLS (communication starts in clear and changes to ssl/tls), but not allowed for the regular Verizon smtp.verizon.net (ssl/tls).

Hi TNS_2,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm aware of that. When trying port 587, I configured the various email clients tried to use STARTTLS. No luck.

0 Likes
xwx06

I  had  a problem  sending  E-mails  using Thunderbird  on  my  PC Desktop  but  no problems  with my  MAC BOOK  PRO.   After Changing the settings  and  not  being  able  to  send  on the Desk Top  , I  compared  setting  on the two  and  found  that on the desk Top I didn't  have the Outgoing Server (SMTP)    Edit  data  correct  with SSL/TLS and Normal  password  entered. Another words you  have  to  have (SSL/TLS    and  normal password)  on  both POP mail  Server  and

and the OutgoingServer  screen.

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

@xwx06 wrote:

I  had  a problem  sending  E-mails  using Thunderbird  on  my  PC Desktop  but  no problems  with my  MAC BOOK  PRO.   After Changing the settings  and  not  being  able  to  send  on the Desk Top  , I  compared  setting  on the two  and  found  that on the desk Top I didn't  have the Outgoing Server (SMTP)    Edit  data  correct  with SSL/TLS and Normal  password  entered. Another words you  have  to  have (SSL/TLS    and  normal password)  on  both POP mail  Server  and

and the OutgoingServer  screen.

Hi xwx06,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I have everything configured correctly. Using the old settings in Thunderbird with port 110 for receiving and port 25 for outgoing, everything works fine -- for now. Changing the settings to port 995 for incoming, SSL/TLS and normal password does *not* work. For outgoing, trying 465, SSL/TLS, normal password also does *not* work.

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since ports 995 and 465 are not unique to Verizon, I began looking for another etiology for the problem.

At MozillaZine (and other sites), users said that many routers block ports by default, so I'm now thinking that my router (Westell 327w) is probably doing this. Solutions offered were to not use router's firewall, lower router's firewall setting to low (rather than medium or high), or use port forwarding.

I'm not able to access my router since it appears I don't have a record of the password. (I have the user name.) So, I'll have to reset the router. I only want to do that when Verizon tech support is available in case I'm unable to get things reconfigured properly.

If and when I get this problem resolved, I'll post back.

0 Likes
logan81
Contributor - Level 3

Could you possibly bypass your router in order to test the theory? Or is it a coax cable setup? If you are using Ethernet it would be easy to bypass the router

0 Likes
pekoe6
Enthusiast - Level 3

@logan8 wrote:

Could you possibly bypass your router in order to test the theory? Or is it a coax cable setup? If you are using Ethernet it would be easy to bypass the router

Hi Logan8,

Thanks for the reply. I always connect via wireless, but otherwise, yes, there are Ethernet cables. How would I bypass the router?

In any case, to try to solve this problem, I lowered my router's firewall settings to LOW. (Previously they were set to MEDIUM.) Doing this completely solved the problem, and I'm now able to use Thunderbird with ports 995 and 465 and SSL. However, I don't think I'm happy about having the firewall settings at LOW. I'm not really sure if I'm now opening my computer up to threats. The recommended setting was MEDIUM.

Another possible solution was port forwarding, but I haven't read enough about it yet to understand it. I don't want to mess around too much with the router settings and knock myself offline.

I'm also thinking of getting a new modem. According to what I've read, only older modem/routers like mine (Westell 327w) block ports 995 and 465.

0 Likes