Re: Email I received regarding changing settings by Dec. 2
reg21
pekoe6, skeptical this is a router problem. More likely a Verizon mail server issue. See this thread. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/550-5-7-1-Authentication-Required/td-p/540449/page/2. 465 is a widely used send port beyond Verizon and the problem with Verizon is affecting multiple email clients. This all suggests it is neither an email client nor port issue but a Verizon mail server issue. That said, interested in any updates: did lowering router firewall settings and/or changing out your router solve the issue?
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@reg2 wrote:
pekoe6, skeptical this is a router problem. More likely a Verizon mail server issue. See this thread. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/550-5-7-1-Authentication-Required/td-p/540449/page/2. 465 is a widely used send port beyond Verizon and the problem with Verizon is affecting multiple email clients. This all suggests it is neither an email client nor port issue but a Verizon mail server issue. That said, interested in any updates: did lowering router firewall settings and/or changing out your router solve the issue?

Actually quite likely with some routers.  He didn't specify which one he uses.

Pekeo6 you should be able to get it routing by allowing the ports 465 and 995 as outgoing.  For most routers thare are allowed for medium security but blocked for high security.  Note a had westell DSL router for Verizon, where I had to unblock such outgoing ports, but the Actiontec routers for Verizon FIOS should allow all outgoing ports when on medium.

0 Likes
reg21
I have a Verizon Actiontec router installed by Verizon specifically for use with FiOS. I have bever changed the Verizon-set firewall settings on the router (indeed, not sure how I would and would likely not do that unless Verizon instructed so). I'd add two data points: the 570 5.7.1 authentication issues never occurred until Verizon went to the 465 port and I have had the same router since FiOS was installed several years ago. This I think reasonably leads one to be skeptical of the router "solution" of reducing firewall protection. Open to that but that ought to come from Verizon as an explicit instruction with guaranty one is not increasing one's security risk. So at least in my case, and clear from multiple threads here I am not alone, that this challenge with sent mails on the verizon.net ecosystem is not a settings issue (confirmed I and many others have the proper settings), can't be an email client issue (this is occurring across multiple clients and OSs, all reputable and established players), I'm using the Verizon - installed and set router and there are no problems with that router. Doesn't this all suggest some kind if handshake problem with the Verizon mail server? And if not, there needs to be a better answer from Verizon Support that this must be a settings or email client issue (conclusions of two separate Support folks after spending each a half hour on phone trying to identify the issue). If it's the router, this was not suggested by either Support person to me so Verizon needs to train or instruct Support more completely. Is it a router issue?
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lots of people have had various problems who used Yahoo/Verizon interface, although they can be gotten to work. 

At this point I only have heard of one email client (not supported anymore and having SSL protocol problems) that does not work with the new settings once correctly entered and the email device is restarted.

Anyone wanting help from your peers here on this forum, PLEASE Identify the email client or device, and version, and post all your settings, except userid, password and other personal information.  And if you are using regular Verizon or Yahoo/Verizon email.

0 Likes
reg21
Verizon.net address using MS Outlook on Windows XP and Maildroid on Android Jelly Bean 4.3. 995 incoming 465 outgoing ports, all SSL checked.

But this is not unique to me. Across devices, OSs, and clients people are having trouble getting their sent mail to work without issue. And this all came about I believe when Verizon moved to the 465 outgoing port (same devices, OSs, and clients before that change had no issue). I had my third conversation with Verizon Support today and finally, REFRESHINGLY, a Verizon employee has admitted that Verizon is having trouble with its mail server. This person promoted this as a "new problem" which concerns me since for me and others this has been goign on for months (with no recognition other than that it must be a settings or email client issue; not). However, she advised that Suport has been told the ongoign server work will be done by Monday and they hope this will solve the authentication errors that are causing the probem. We'll see. But finally someone has admitted there is a Verizon mail server issue (it's not your settings, your email client, your router, or whatever). So maybe, maybe, some progress.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@reg2 wrote:
Verizon.net address using MS Outlook on Windows XP and Maildroid on Android Jelly Bean 4.3. 995 incoming 465 outgoing ports, all SSL checked.

But this is not unique to me. Across devices, OSs, and clients people are having trouble getting their sent mail to work without issue. And this all came about I believe when Verizon moved to the 465 outgoing port (same devices, OSs, and clients before that change had no issue). I had my third conversation with Verizon Support today and finally, REFRESHINGLY, a Verizon employee has admitted that Verizon is having trouble with its mail server. This person promoted this as a "new problem" which concerns me since for me and others this has been goign on for months (with no recognition other than that it must be a settings or email client issue; not). However, she advised that Suport has been told the ongoign server work will be done by Monday and they hope this will solve the authentication errors that are causing the probem. We'll see. But finally someone has admitted there is a Verizon mail server issue (it's not your settings, your email client, your router, or whatever). So maybe, maybe, some progress.

They didn't just move to 465, its been the value for several years if you wanted to use SSL.  They did change servers and are using different code (which one is not identified).  And the new servers will not accept non-ssl (port 25 or 587).

Yes a few server have failed in the last few weeks, but that is only causing complete communication failures, not basic config problems.  Assuming the server is the one that actually does authentication, it may show up as authentication error.  Note its not across the board and most people haven't hit it.

0 Likes
reg21
TSN_2,

Thank you for the thoughtful response. You seem to have actual technical expertise or insights here and your response gets at my skepticism that the current work relates to the issue I and so many others continue to experience with regular 570 5.7.1 Authentication Error messages on sent mail. Hopefully the current work -- even if directed at some other server issue -- will nonetheless solve the problem. But as you also seem skeptical of that do you have an insight on the challenge? We know:
- it is not a settings issue for the many of us who know the settings (995 and 465, SSL turned on, check SSL before Pop3) and we have had Support walk through all this (in my case manually re-inputting all settings multiple times in hopes that might reset).
- we doubt it's a client problem or some unique, anecdotal ecosystem issue since from the multiple threads it is clear this is happening across clients with lots of people (in my own case MailDroid a fair target as a smaller developer but my MS Outlook on XP is now having trouble too; and the MD developer has been very responsive and confirms other of his Verizon customers are having these issues).
- The router "fix" suggested earlier in this thread (lower your firewall settings) strikes me as wrong on multiple levels. I'm certainly not doing that unless/until Verizon Support directs that, and in my now three extensive calls with Support this has NEVER even been suggested as a legitimate fix (their focus has been blame on settings or client).
- yes, 465 around for a long time as you say but it was not until last fall that Verizon mandated this move (that's how this thread originally started). Many of us had been using the 587 without incident for years. This for me is the most rational evidence suggesting this as a Verizon mail server issue. I don't see any persistent threads out there where other ISPs have users getting repeated and daily 570 5.7.1 error messages and having to resend those emails multiple times to get them through the handshake with the server.

So, with your expertise/insights any other ideas before I just junk my verizon.net address (assuming this likely unrelated server work doesn't solve the issue) and use a different email provider?
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Curious if any of you have authentications problems have tls 1.2 enabled.  I have it off because of some problems with some web sites I depend on. At one point Verizon was one of them.  Not sure which email clients might have optionts to use TLS 1.2.

0 Likes
reg21
MailDroid: can deal with SSL and any version of TLS but it (MailDroid) mandates nothing. It deals with whatecer security handshakes the Verizon (or any other) mail server presents. My other client, Outlook 2000 on XP, doesn't support TLS 1.2 I don't think so not an issue there either.

Sadly, but as suspected, the Verizon mail server work over the weekend (if finished) didn't solve my authentication issues. Got a load of 570 5.7.1 errors tonight. Back to drawing board, or maybe just junking verizon.net as email provider. Inceasingly clear this is a mail server issue they are just not interested in fixing. And it can be fixed: not seeing any other stream of regular authentication issues with other email providers using the 465 sent port being regularly reported online.

Very open (indeed eager to hear) other ideas since changing email addresses a pain.
0 Likes
reg21
4th go round with Verizon fixed the MS outlook issue (by typing my email address in the "Reply Email" prompt in the General Settings tab (never did or had to do that and folks aren't sure why it fixed it but it did). So with that and Verizon webmail working turned suspicion back on Maildroid. As a test, for last three days have used exclusively the Android stock email client with the same settings I use with MD. Not a single email has had an authentication issue or got stuck. This now squarely suggests a Maildroid issue. MD developer is terrific and is working on it. To TNS_2's suggestion about the security protocol, that is definitely a possibility being investigated.
0 Likes