Re: Eudora 7.1
Robbie42

@Doodus_Freight wrote:

>Yes, yes, YES!! this works.

Thanks to whoever came up with this. I've been using Eudora since '95, and would hate to give it up.

-----------------------------------

>overall Verizon mail is just plain horrible, particularly due to situations like this.

>

>they send more trash, phishing, junk & unwanted stuff than anyone else, and all my submissions to >spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net just go un-noticed.

So much junk gets through, but a few weeks ago, I tried to send a friend a Youtube link, & msg was flagged as spam!

0 Likes
Re: Eudora 7.1 authentication required error
kellygwen

I have the same problem, same time line. I have done the "notepad" insertion but then can not save because I do not have permission...says I am not the administrator. Can I override this? My mother in law installed Eudora for me years ago and the 7.1 update. Would she be the administrator? What do I need from her to get acess? Thank you for your help!!

0 Likes
Re: Eudora 7.1 authentication required error
DougA1

Auuugh!!  Why didn't I see this thread sooner?!  I have spent the last couple of days changing over all my computers to Thunderbird to do email ....  This fix works for my old version 5.1 Eudora!!!  Though, I'll admit to having been thinking about switching to Thunderbird for a while now since Eudora 5.1 doesn't know how to deal with UTF-8 encoding in header lines and requires a plug-in to convert body text etc.

Whatever, kudos to the poster with the fix!!

0 Likes
leama

I'm late to the party, but I've been having the same problems with sending e-mail from Euidora.  When I try the fix, I am not allowed to save changes -- any ideas?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Viking25

My deudora.ini was this:

<quote>

[Settings]
SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5
NC=1
Code=NC
DataFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora

<end quote>

It didn't make sense to me to add SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 again and I wondred about mine indicatng the data folder path, but folks here said it worked, so I went ahead and put it after the last line.

It didn't work.  What am I doing wrong?

If this is a clue, the incoming email comes with the error message,

"<Dominant> Connection to the Mail Server... [02:20:39 PM] SSL Negotiaion Failed Unknown Error  Certificate bad: Destination Host name does not match host name in certificate  But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted.  The connection with the server had been lost  Cause (200)"

When I send email, a "Server SSL Certificate Rejected" window opens and states an :Unknown Error."

Incidentally, I spoke with a Verizon guy who sincerely tried to help for more than an hour..  he was unfamiliar with Eudora, but as I've been using it since about 1998 or maybe before, so we able to navigate to anythign he asked for.  he brought somebody else in, but the bottom line was (my words) "tough cookies," apparently the offical Verizon position on unsupported email clients.  I understand this as the date on Eudora 7.1 is 2006, so I expect they regard it as dead.

0 Likes
Viking25

Update/Addendum to my earlier post.

It appears that where I went wrong was that I apparently had forgotten that part of the day when I visited the forum and added SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 to the deudora.ini file.  It worked back then, but now it doesn't. I don't know when it started, but on checking mail I was getting the previously posted error message, "SSL Negotiation Failed Unknown Error Certificate bad. Destination Host name does not match host name in certificate, but ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted,an" and the email downloaded just fine.  I could also send mail just fine too.

Then two days ago when I tried to send queued message I got the "SSL Negotiation Failed. Unknown Errror. Certificate Bad. Destination host name does not match host name, etc." and the "Server SSL Rejected" pop-up window.  The previous message illustrates my frustration.

What I did was REMOVE SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 from the deudora.ini, restarted, and although I still couldn't send messages and still got the error message and pop-up window, I could receive them without an error message.  So then I put SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 back into the deudora.ini file and it was the same as not having it.  I could receive email error free, but sending was the same failure.

The Verizon guy who talked to me for an hour mentioned that there was a major email problem at about the same time my problems began that had email shut down all day, even including web mail, so maybe in the process of correcting that, things gor changed that are causing this.  In his defense, I don't think a tech support guy would know that much of the details of what went on and even if he did, I doubt the bureauracy would allow him to admit fault.  Maybe they'll fix it. 

In the interim though, I'm at a loss what to do now.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Avast users report that its certificate manager has blocked the updated Verizon Certificate.  Apparently you have to manually accept it.  Hope it works for you.

Something similar may be true for other Network security suites.

0 Likes
Viking25
Apologies for this turning out to be a saga, but if it boring to you, just be glad you're not me! LOL! (One must try and maintain one's sense of humor, mustn't one?) Okay, here's the latest. (It gets worse...) For a while yesterday I was receiving email normally with no error messages, although I could still not send email because of the error and the "Server SSL Certificate Rejected" pop-up that says, [quote] The server's SSL certificate was rejected for the following reason: Unknown Error Do you want to trust this certificate in future sessions? [end quote] If I select "yes," nothing happens. Going to Tools -> Options -> Sending Mail and click on SSL Info, the Eudora SSL Connection Information Manager pops up saying "Failed" and in Notes says, [quote] Unknown Error Certificate bad: Destination Host name does not match host name in certificate But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted The connection with the server has been lost. [end quote] Here's where it gets interesting and may be what causing the problem. Under Server Certificates it lists IE, Baltimore, CyberTrust, Baltimore Cyber Trust Root When I click on the + sign, it reveals the same thing with the identical data and Thumbprint, both with the same happy face icon. When I click on the + sign on the second one, another level opens up where I find a death's head (skull and crossbones) icon and' NL, Amsterdam. Verizon Enterprise Solutions, Cybertrust, Verizon Public SureServer CA G14-SHA2 I have no idea where that came from unless it resulted from my selecting "Add To Trusted" in a previous trial solution. The "Remove From Trusted" is lightened out, so I cannot delete these redundant and perhaps toxic certificates this way, so here's are my questions: 1. Is there another way to delete these undesired SSL Certificates, and 2. Are their any ideas about solutions Thanks for your help!
0 Likes
jason978

hey viking,  having identical issue , even the skull and crossbones thing. started today aug31. been using eudora exclusively for almost 15 years. 

0 Likes
RadDadTX

I was able to trust the updated pop.verizon.net to receive mail but the new smtp.verizon.net certificate will not update for whatever reason. Mail won't send as the old smtp.verizon.net certificate expired on Aug 30, 2015.

0 Likes