Re: Is there any way to keep my verizon.net E-mail address if I cancel my Internet service?
gpatelder

keep my verizon email 

0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to keep my verizon.net E-mail address if I cancel my Internet service?
scottydog
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't waste your time and money trying to keep the @verizon.net email address.  Why? Because, that email domain belongs to Verizon and if you cancel or move, that's the end of it unless you move to an area that also has Verizon service. Many folks get used to their ISP email address then, find out how much hassel it is to move or change ISP's etc.

The best practice is to put all your eggs in a public (free email service) email basket and then you will be free to move, cancel, go with cable, cancel, go with some other ISP, cancel or move again and so forth.  Your email remains the same because you are using an email service that is not dependant upon the ISP or internet service you subscribe to.

I used to think the ISP email was the only way to go because of security and the support that I got with the ISP I was a customer of.  Lately, this kind of thinking isn't the best because as time moves on, the ISP's, such as Verizon in this case, have reduced the capacity, support features and not kept that service in line with the faster speeds such as Fios. Actually, in the recent past when calling support, I was told that verizon.net email is bundled with your internet service but it isn't supported the same. I asked, are you sure? and was told yes, our email is a free service so it isn't supported, just the internet connection is.  Of course I knew that wasn't really true but you'd be suprised how many tech support people over there with Verizon actually make that statement. They even go so far as to suggest using a "free" service such as Gmail. My response to that was, "why would I do that if Verizon.net email is free and not supported?"

I'd just go with a Gmail email account/email service and set up your phones, computers etc. to either use thier webbased service or configure Outlook or Windows Live Mail to read and send them.  Those software's are refered to as "clients" and tend to work much better than a browser. 

My two cents

0 Likes
kittybegly

I am moving out of verizon area...want to keep email address

0 Likes
RANKIN11

WANT TO KEEP VERIZON E MAIL{edited for privacy}@VERIZON.NET

0 Likes
ziggy34637

What a joke, call the 800 services # and they tell you it has to be done online. Went to My Domain found what I needed but would not let me order the 19.95 a year plan.  Did the online chat with Nathan and he tells me I have to call the 800 services # cause I can't do it online it has to be done over the phone.

0 Likes
VYD (Verizon Your Domain) has worked perfectly
stevenspencer1

For me the Verizon your domain worked excellently.  I'm in a new area without FIOS so I am using Optimum cable. My mass email (forums, etc, I also use gmail accounts) goes through Verizon and is picked up by my desktop Eudora POP regularly. 

In fact, I will not be using my Optimum email addies much, because they don't have an equivalent service and I don't want to have problems down the road.

Steven

0 Likes
Re: VYD (Verizon Your Domain) has worked perfectly
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes