Re: June 28 Email Outage: Can't receive email - Server down?
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

I just got a really strange error when trying to connect using my mail program: Mailbox is on a different server.

0 Likes
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

I'm finally back.

0 Likes
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I seem to be getting email again starting at about 10 PM EDT, which is a total downtime of 5-6 hrs. The bulk of that email was notification of a response to my post. I see the title was changed, but I think maybe it should be "June 28 Email Outrage"!

It also seems that my local time for this forum is now 3 hours behind EDT, which is PDT. I may need to adjust my settings.

I suppose it is time to mark this issue as "solved", but I won't do that until someone from Verizon comes on here and issues a comprehensive and technically detailed response.

Wow, there are still more emails from this forum while I'm writing this. LOTS more! I'm being flooded!

And, oh no, my emails are covered with crude oil! OOPS!

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder folks that this is a peer-to-peer support forum and not a board where Verizon staff post updates on issues with their products or services.

It's possible however, that sometime tomorrow during business hours, one of the staff who drop in occasionally may come by and post. I don't expect that it will be a technical explanation though, as they would only have access to a certain amount and type of information.

jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

@ElizabethS wrote:

Just a reminder folks that this is a peer-to-peer support forum and not a board where Verizon staff post updates on issues with their products or services.

It's possible however, that sometime tomorrow during business hours, one of the staff who drop in occasionally may come by and post. I don't expect that it will be a technical explanation though, as they would only have access to a certain amount and type of information.

thanks Elizabeth, but can you tell us where Verizon staff do post updates on issues?

I don't think that folks were upset at the outage so much as they were not being told that there was an outage (with no ETA status).  Of course, I (and I hope others would too) understand that sending out a mass e-mail indicating such was not possible at that time.  However, it would be nice if customers had a place to go to view the status on such "issues".

thank you.

0 Likes
beatsc93
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can now receive but canot send and I think all my settings are correct.  I have a Mac and use mac mail. 

0 Likes
LJohn89

I am simply furious, not just at the outage but the fact that Verizon never put any info on their system stauts page. Hello? What is a system status page for?

Acutally posting to the system status page would lower the volume of phone calls to the support centers and will possibly reduce levels of customer frustration (generally, when people are informed and are given an ETA on resolving a problem, they are less angry).

My husband, who has been out of work for several months, was going to be receiving forms from a possible employer last night...via email.

If what is being reported here is correct, then Verizon didn't even inform their own customer support people about what was going on. I know that support chat was down yesterday evening as well, even though it was within the posted hours when I attempted to try it. And I was unable to log onto the Verizon web site.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

At the time of the outage the Verizon Support site said there were no issues with mail or anything for that matter.

Most folks can deal with an outage (it happens) but the most frustrating part is the lack of communication.  VZ needs to step up the communication effort and post on the support page there is a technical difficulty at this moment and we are working on it.  The lack of communication sucks and shows they don't care about the customer.

0 Likes
LJohn89

@ElizabethS wrote:

Oh, you can bet that if it gets noisy enough, somone will be bothering to take note of it. They don't have to provide an in-depth technical explaination here, what they need to do is note that they need to USE their EXISTING system status page to communicate when a serious problem happens like yesterday.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It occurs to me that maybe they didn't post an update on their website because the issue involved the entire core authentication system (across email, forums, MyVerizon, etc.).  I could understand that.

With that said however ... they have a Twitter feed and Facebook communities which were certainly unaffected and while not necessarily official channels, would have gotten to word out pretty quickly I suspect.

Additionally, now that the storm has passed, you'd think they'd acknowledge the outage and give us a root cause / resolution to signal the "all clear and everything's back to normal" (i.e. if your problems continue, now it's time to call).  An announcement of some sort on their status page would be nice.

0 Likes