Re: Thunderbird SSL Account Definitions - Check For Updated Information
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Ikeepaparrot wrote:

...  I have entered each item as described: The POP port as 665, and the SMTP port as 465.  The following are the error messages I get for my  2 sub-accounts;

Login to server failed.  Sending password did not succeed.  Mail Server incoming.net responded:  Authentication failed.

I don't know how to work with this information and would be grateful for anyone's assistance in this matter. 

First try 995 instead of 665.

0 Likes
Ikeepaparrot

Oh darn.  I was so worried about getting the error messages right that I used two 6's instead of the 995 as I intended to post.  I have correctly entered the numbers as they have been given here for the two ports.  My typing of the 6's in the post to the forum was my typing error.

Arrie

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ikeepaparrot wrote:

I am not a professional computer person, so I may not be doing the right things, however, I have entered each item as described: The POP port as 665, and the SMTP port as 465.  The following are the error messages I get for my  2 sub-accounts;

Login to server failed.  Sending password did not succeed.  Mail Server incoming.net responded:  Authentication failed.

I don't know how to work with this information and would be grateful for anyone's assistance in this matter. 

Arrie Hammel

Perhaps just a typo but the correct (and default) ssl smtp port is 995.

0 Likes
Ikeepaparrot

Now that I have been readvised about the typo, does anyone have any suggestion for my original question.

Ikeepaparrot wrote:

...  I have entered each item as described: The POP port as 665, and the SMTP port as 465.  The following are the error messages I get for my  2 sub-accounts;

0 Likes
bmac50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (at the bottom left hand side). About the middle under port setting that name MUST match the email address. Incoming doesn't seem to matter but out does.

0 Likes
NateM2

You are correct.  I forgot to change to SSL on Connection Security on both pop and smtp.  I also had a problem with original settings for multiple IDs, which I have.  For some reason they used to work with one smtp, but recently I needed to set up individual smtp's for each account on Verizon.  These can be specified in the Account Settings -- Outgoing Server (near the bottom).

@Justin wrote:

@lilhighway wrote:

lol try incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net just fyi the pop3.verizon.net is not gonna work until the email server changes those setting on there end.same with smpt

I'm sorry, your statement is just completely wrong, the new settings for pop and smtp do work, have for quite a while.

I just verified in Thunderbird once again that the settings for sending and receiving do work. Here are the server definitions I have that work:

I of course have blanked out any personal identification information.

Everyone should keep in mind that the first time you try to access your email with these definitions you are going to have to enter your password. And unless you tell Thunderbird to remember your passwords you will have to enter them every time.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
irelandsking

In case anyone is having trouble after getting all the settings correct but still not getting incoming mail like I was:

I was only getting mail sent from a verizon.net  address. Nothing else would come through. After investigating I found I had to go into the verizon webmail  account and go into the email settings and then spam settings and turn the spam filter off. Even though I never had trouble with emails coming through from gmail yahoo etc  before it was now blocking EVERYTHING that wasn't a verizon address even from my kids school system and my broker and bank. After I turned it off it's working fine again with the new server  settings and receiving all mail. Note this is NOT a setting in Mozilla you have to sign in to verizon webmail to make the change

0 Likes
FreeBajor
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done everything that everyone has posted before. It still doesn't work.  But now I notice that even though I have changed the ports, to the right the Default Port still shows 110 for both incoming and outgoing.  How do I change the Default Port?  I have rebooted after updating, but that doesn't correct it. I have used Thunderbird for years and don't want to switch back to Outlook (it seems that any support that Verizon posts on its website is for Outlook).  Please be specific with the steps -- I'm not good with technology.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@FreeBajor wrote:

I have done everything that everyone has posted before. It still doesn't work.  But now I notice that even though I have changed the ports, to the right the Default Port still shows 110 for both incoming and outgoing.  How do I change the Default Port?  I have rebooted after updating, but that doesn't correct it. I have used Thunderbird for years and don't want to switch back to Outlook (it seems that any support that Verizon posts on its website is for Outlook).  Please be specific with the steps -- I'm not good with technology.  Thank you.

I believe you have the wrong setting for the Connection Security:

Any selection other than SSL/TLS results in the 110 (and 587) showing as the default. You need to change the settings for both the POP server and the SMTP server.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

FreeBajor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Justin. It seems to work now. I had switched Connection to SSl/TLS but it still wasn't working.  Earlier I had it on Encrypted Password (I think that's what it was before), but that is what seems to have messed it up.  I noticed on your screen you use Normal Password, so changed it to that.  Thanks for your help.

Now I have to figure out how to make the changes to my Droid X.

0 Likes