Re: No response from - pop.verizon.net - or - smtp.verizon.net -
Chief_Michael
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was on the phone last night with a customer service rep and her supervisor.  It was obvious that they had no idea what they were talking about, I wish their Customer Service was in the USA where you could understand what the heck they were saying and not India.  I was told that Verizon has killed the ability for MS Outlook to log into their POP3 server from the Internet, which I have been doing for over 10+ years.  They say you must be using the Verizon ISP network to use Outlook.  They onlly way to check email is with Webmail when you are not own the Verizon Network.  They swore this happened months ago but strange my wife's IPAD worked on the Cox.net last week and mine worked in a McDonaolds on Monday.

It still works on my ATT Smart Phone.  That blows the Verizon ISP explanation.

Has anyone else been fed this line {word filter avoidance}?

BudPalChief
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been fed lots of lines, but still have the same problem.  Quickly, I used to have FiOS service, but moved to a place where Verizon is not offered as an ISP.  However, I kept my Verizon email I've had for 17 years.  Now when I call for help, I have no DSL or FiOS account, so technically, I don't exist and they can't check to see if I'm part of an outage or not...

I did get a tech who tried to help yesterday.  After 1.5 hours, she referred me to www.verizon.net/whitelist.  Asked me to have my ISP fill out this form to allow my IP address to be added to the list of allowed addresses.  I'll let you know if it works!

0 Likes
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

I'm wondering if anybody knows where on Verizon's Support site this problem is documented so others will be able to see it's a known issue. I continue to be stumped whenever I have a problem as to where to look for known issues to avoid wasting time trying to resolve problems.

0 Likes
limarie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the exact same situation--verizon email because I moved to a place verizon didn't service, so have Time Warner for DSL. I had a very helpful verizon web chat tech on Wednesday work really hard for me--screen sharing, the whole bit, even called me back because I needed to restart the computer so we lost the connection (though yes, then it was really hard to understand her). She tried everything, got other people involved, and said they hoped the problem would be resolved in 24 hours. 

Like other here, I don't understand why Verizon a) doesn't update their techs to this problem, because it sounds like we all start from scratch every time we call to get an update and b) doesn't reach out to customers or create a site with posts about what they're doing to address and timing. 

0 Likes
using-webmail

In Calif. I have had the same problem in Webmail & Apple Mail (except for 1 day & this morning). In Webmail I was timed out in Safari, Chrome, & Firefox. In Mail I could not connect to the POP or SMTP server. Plus, I could not get a SIgn-in window at either My Verizon nor this site. I verified my nerwork connection was OK in Apple Network Diagnostics. I hope the problem has been resolved.

0 Likes
jzodda
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had this problem since 9/17.

First it was outlook and my phone. Then the phone starting getting emails again but not outlook.

Called twice and they didn't seem to understand nor able to tell me anything except that it will be fixed.

Well its still not fixed. Like others here, I left Fios for another ISP and kept my email address which I pay for each year the past 2 years. Never had a problem till 9/17

Getting more frustrated by the day with this.

Tato97
Any resolution to this problem? I am still unable to get response from the pop or SMTP servers on my iPad or android phone. Delete account and re-created but is unable to verify settings with the email servers.
0 Likes
whwiii

exact same issue and time frame

crystalizing the problem

at home:

using a laptop with firefox connected via time warner cable

i am unable to retrieve email

i am able to access webmail

at work:

same lap top, same software, same settings at work via verizon broad band

i am able to retrieve email

from home, cannot telnet to pop.verizon.net by dns or IP address using port 995.

ran tracert to pop.verizon.net and it times out after 11 hops at

80.ae1.SA3.LAX9.ALTER.net

the registrant for ALTER.net is... Verizon Business Global LLC

spent a half an hour on the phone with verizon tech support yesterday

they had no idea what the problem was

they basically said web mail works so it's not their problem

would encourage everyone to keep after verizon on this one

0 Likes
whwiii

i have an android via verizon wireless

broadband is time warner cable

workaround for me was to disable wi-fi

since verizon is blocking time warner cable, but not verizon wireless

it worked fine accessing email via 4G

may not work for other wireless providers

0 Likes
limarie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agree we have to keep after verizon--it seems the only way they'll address is if we're sucking up too much of their techs' time. Workarounds are fine if you have access to another server/network/data usage, but my home computer can only access via my home internet. Webmail is fine for short-term, but all my correspondences, addresses, and history emails are on my apple mail.

Isn't verizon monitoring these posts? Do they have the slightest interest in acknowledging the problem? (Or saving their tech support from constantembarrassment--some of whom have worked really hard to help and been as frustrated as we are, it seems from a few posts).

Communication company tech services get such bad rap--I've always been a defender of verizon (I hated having to switch DSL providers, but they weren't in my area when I moved) because I've had such a good experience. That will change--fiercely--if this doesn't get resolved.