Question about using Apple Mail with Verizon
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure if this is an Apple or Verizon question, but leaning toward the latter so here it is...

On my MacBook Pro, running OS 10.8.3, I have several accounts. Each has its own Verizon username e.g. username@verizon.net, username1@verizon.net etc. Everything had been working fine but last night I had an issue sending email from, say, the username1 account. I went to the username account to test it out and it worked fine - I sent an email to username1 in Mail and username1 had no problem receiving it. But username1 couldn't send email - it gave an error message about the outgoing server, asking me if I wanted to try another one.

Now the odd thing is that the outgoing server name was (and has always been) exactly the same for username1 and username. But when I selected outgoing.verizon.net:username1 instead of the usual one, it was able to send email. I'm not sure why that other server name was listed as an option, but glad that it was there.

So my question is why would two accounts on the same computer have to use two different Verizon outgoing mail servers in order to send email?

Thanks.

P.S. I should mention that, based on input from this forum, I ignored Verizon's "urgent" email from back in March about changing mail settings.

0 Likes
Re: Question about using Apple Mail with Verizon
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@abcdefghij wrote:

Not sure if this is an Apple or Verizon question ... last night I had an issue sending email ... why would two accounts on the same computer have to use two different Verizon outgoing mail servers in order to send email? ...

P.S. ... based on input from this forum, I ignored Verizon's "urgent" email from back in March about changing mail settings.

There's input, and then there's input.

By this time you should be using only the recommended settings across all your devices and platforms.  As far as I can determine, all devices, operating systems, mail clients, etc., have been successfully configured using the new recommended settings.  There are indeed individuals who are still finding issues, but the general consensus among experienced users seems to be that the issues reported are related to individual settings and devices, and do not stem from the server side.

BTW I don't at all mean to suggest that a particular user is anything less than capable.  I'm just stating what I believe is the situation today.