Soffit1

I can't figure out how to block all the crazy "dot.info" SPAM emails. I have filters in place to filter based on key words in the subject line. There are not enough filters allowed by webmail so I was trying to use the blocking feature. The e-mail address keeps morphing so I can't block.

Here is one example: nraxavvgjmvq@gesdrifmckim.info 

Anyone find a Verizon webmail solution they can share?

0 Likes
Re: SPAM
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

Following is a workaround.  I've copied and pasted from a couple of messages on this board, so if the grammar or syntax isn't quite right, I apologize in advance.

There's another way to block/delete spam as it comes in.  Log into webmail and go to Settings>Email settings>filters>add new filters.  Set up a new rule that says IF To: or CC:” DOES NOT contain the email address then move to trash.

When we tried it on my wife's account, we found that she couldn't use the "Always BCC myself" setting on her iPhone and iPad.  Because she frequently uses those devices when she's away from the office to keep a record, it was an issue.  All of her record copies went to the spam folder.

Here's a tweak that I found that makes it more useful.  In addition to the rule that says,

"If To or CC does not contain <email address> Then move messages to folder  Trash (or Spam)",

I added a second filter that says,

"If From Contains <email address> Then move messages to folder Inbox." 

This allows her to BCC herself. 

The only real glitch is if someone legitimately send her a BCC, she doesn't get it.

After trying this on my wife's account for a week, the results with this workaround aren't are as good.   She receives a fair number of smaller, "low-tech" newsletters that rely on the BCC function to send them out.  She is an elected official, so she needs to be certain that she gets these.  Because the filter blocks anything without her address in the To: or CC: lines, they are put into the Spam folder.  As I identify them, I've put in place filters for these to be sent to the Inbox, but I may run into a limit on the number of filters. 

In short, we really need the Verizon spam filter to work.  It doesn't.  Verizon says it works, but they won't commit  any time to showing me that it does work.  This is getting tiresome.

Soffit, I hope this helps a little.

j_m

PeeBody
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I'm not computer smart so do you mean add  <email address> OR  email address?. I thought all spam had an email address! NEVER MIND! I figured it out...LOL ( I recently had laser surgery on my eyes and so I kept reading until I got it....thanks!

0 Likes
PeeBody
Enthusiast - Level 2

You helped someone with spam back in 2014 and your idea still works in 2017...thank you very much. It's been over 12 hrs and no spam in my inbox. About 20-25 in my spam box. I was looking for a place to send spam if I thought it had a virus because it would not go to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net, as usual. I tried to send it twice at different times and it would not send so I ended up deleating it. I hope more people read your idea. I hope I didn't speak to soon but to go 12 hours with 20 pieces of junk mail, and not one in my inbox is a welcome surprise to me. Thanks again

0 Likes
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

I'm glad it helped. The basic solution was pointed out to me by a moderator.  I just tweaked it.

Please remember, it won't be perfect.  I still get some spam in my Inbox and occasionally a legitimate e-mail gets caught in the filter . . . but it is better than without the filters.

0 Likes