Re: Verizon Online Email Account Changes - Legit Email
pturner38
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also got this email from Verizon about the incoming and outgoing server numbers changing, even though my email is working normally. I set the numbers to 995 and 465 as the instructions said and enabled SSL on the outgoing server only and tested the connection and it failed with a recieve error. Then I noticed that there is a check box to enable SSL on the incoming side, retested and it send and recieves normally.

it would be really nice if Verizon would clarify these things before they send them out to avoid confusion. Luckily I am a computer tech and figured this out pretty quickly and didn't have to call theoir support.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Alex_VZ:  Please confirm what I'm seeing:  If I use AVAST, the Avast Mail Sield settings should be set like the new Verizon email - 995 and 465 and SSL, but the Outlook Express settings should go back to the prior 587 and 110 and NOT SSL.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, is it because Avast is communicating with the Vz email server and then passing the emails to and from my Outlook Express?  In other words, my Outlook Express is NOT communicating directly with the Vz email server?

Please explain, as I had complained in other forums about the lack of SSL between me and the Vz email server and was very happy to get the new email suggesting the new SSL link.

Thanks.

0 Likes
DougC1

I made the same changes -- all per Verizon's instructions -- and, during the test of account settings, the login was successful but the second step, sending test message, failed. The error message said the connection was interrupted.  I've tried it again and get the same result and same error message.

I changed my settings back to the previous ones, which have worked for a year, and now I can't send mail because the error message says outgoing mail from my IP address is "currently blocked".

(Thanks for wasting my day, Verizon.)

0 Likes
brauh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue.  Using Office Professional Plus 2010 in a Windows 7 (64 bit) environment.  I am unable to send emails using Outlook.  Outlook does log onto the server.Smiley Frustrated

Bill

0 Likes
brauh01
Enthusiast - Level 3

Solved this problem by selecting "type" of encryption in Internet E-mail Settings ->More Settings->Advanced tab.  Underneath Outgoing server SMTP port setting is yet another setting:  Use the following type of encrypted connection:  This has 4 settings:  None, SSL, TLS, and Auto.  Auto DID NOT work, but SSL did.

gldlcks

Is anyone using Outlook Windows Live as their client e-mail interface?  I made the changes required in the message but can not sent any messages from the client?

0 Likes
capelady1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks qrk, your Eudora instructions did work, for awhile.  However, this morning I could send but not receive, so I changed the "secure sockets when receiving" to never, and now I can receive mail again.  At least for now! I had to make a similar change in Thunderbird, which I use for a different verizon email address.

Note that incoming works when I actually click on the icon to receive.  It does NOT work when Eudora automatically checks for new mail at 5 minute intervals - then I get a "timed out" message.  So, I have to manually check for new messages.  This has been happening for several days.

0 Likes
TheOtherPete
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon is having trouble with the email servers this morning, you should leave the (SSL) settings alone, if they worked before then they are correct - its a VZ issue not a client issue

capelady1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would love to leave them alone, but I would also like to receive my emails.  Thanks.

0 Likes
lilhighway
Enthusiast - Level 3

verizon is a joke anyone can clearly see that india has no clue what they are doing. i mean come on verizon's so called

"spam team" been working on controling spam for like 7 years and still can't get it right.

0 Likes