Re: Verizon email is down?
Gidon
Enthusiast - Level 2

scififan & jessm78,

About mail that was inbound to your Verizon account during the outage:  I don't have any inside information, but dropping mail in transit has been considered malpractice by the industry for decades.  (And the system was designed when computers were considerably less reliable than they are today.)  Here's how the specification (RFC 5321) puts it:

When the receiver-SMTP accepts a piece of mail (by sending a "250 OK" message in response to DATA), it is accepting responsibility for delivering or relaying the message. It must take this responsibility seriously. It MUST NOT lose the message for frivolous reasons, such as because the host later crashes or because of a predictable resource shortage.  ...

'Delivering' means: a mailbox on disk accessible by the e-mail's addressee at his/her pleasure.  When 2 ISP's mail servers communicate, it's supposed to be like runners passing a baton -- the first runner doesn't release the baton until he knows the second runner won't drop it on the ground.  So when Verizon's mail server is down, the e-mail should be held "upstream" until Verizon's server can guarantee you'll get it.  This is safe for the e-mail, but can introduce delivery delays.

It would be normal for mail backlogged at sender ISPs to take many hours to be delivered once Verizon is back up and running.  Different "upstream" ISPs will have different delays.

It's a shame we haven't heard from one of Verizon's on-the-scene engineering managers.  Unfortunately, many companies won't let engineers talk to the public directly because they're afraid of legal liability.

Lost Emails - Inbox, Sent, etc.
heyrob1

Are you working to restore certain servers or by specific ID?  We need {edited for privacy}@verizon.net restored.

Thank You.

0 Likes
Re: VERIZON EMAIL DOWN AND ALL MY FOLDERS DISAPPEARED
GoodByeVerizon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I only have Verizon email service. The email was inaccessible today (getting the smae error code as others). Tonight my account is available but ALL my folders are gone. I tried calling Verizon and was sent to 866-423-2520. The only option for email is an advisory to visit the website.

Did anyone else lose all their folders?

If so did you resolve it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: VERIZON EMAIL DOWN AND ALL MY FOLDERS DISAPPEARED
redcar1

yes, everything is gone - trash, drafts, folders.  Had all last night - checked 1/2 hour ago - nothing other than new message recently sent. Can folders be retrieved?? 

0 Likes
Re: email folders
the-pokey-puppy

TO ALL:

Here's how to BACK UP all of your Outlook Express email FOLDERS (so you don't ever worry about loosing them again)!

1) Open up My Computer, at the TOP, click on "TOOLS", then on 'FOLDER OPTIONS' tab.  Then click on the 'VIEW' tab; you'll see a yellow folder titled: "Hidden Files & Folders" with 2 circles under it: "Do Not Show Hidden Files & Folders" and "Do Show Hidden Files & Folders."  The first one should have a black dot inside of it.  What you want to do now is go and CLICK on the other circle - "Show Hidden Files & Folders."  You can now close or minimize all these tabs.

2) Go to START, All Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer - open Windows Explorer. 

3) Under Local Disk C open Documents & Settings tab, open tab with YOUR name on it, open Local Settings, open Application Data, open Identities, open Outlook Express!  (Yes, email folders are well hidden!)

4) Open (by clicking on it) the Outlook Express Folder.  On the right side of that window, VOILA! You will see ALL of your Outlook Express email FOLDERS!  Yippy!  Now you SELECT the folders you wish to COPY to a CD disk or some other type of removable storage device.  Then click on the EDIT tab, and select COPY. 

5) Now, you insert into your CD drive, the CD you wish to Copy or Write these folders to. 

6) Select 'Paste' (to the CD or other storage device).  You'll see the folders in the "Ready for copying" area, but you must actually tell the computer to Paste or Write the file folders to the CD. 

You should see the files (folders) being copied to the CD.

When that's finished, you can check to be sure they copied/pasted right, by right-clicking on each one, and clicking on "Properties" - that will show you the size of the folder. 

7) Take out the CD from your CD rom drive, label it something like: "Email Folders Back Up" and date it.  Then put it in a safe place.

Congratulations!  You've just successfully backed up your Outlook Express Email Folders, containing all of your email messages.  Isn't that a relief? 

Oh, don't forget to go back to FOLDER OPTIONS - VIEW, and re-check the "DO NOT show hidden files and folders" circle!  You don't want hidden files/folders to be SEEN ordinarily, you may accidentally DELETE one of them and that could be disastrous!

Good luck!

D~

0 Likes
scififan2
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Gidon!

I so hope you are right, and that there will just be a lag.

I am hoping that when I wake up in the morning, all my incoming messages from today will be there waiting for me. 8-) Yes, I am an eternal optimist.

Heck, I would even be happy if I get them later tomorrow.... 8-)

0 Likes
ljf214
Enthusiast - Level 2

Are you kidding me?  Next morning - still all my email is missing!!!  What the heck Verizon?  i had important things I need to get to .   Not cool at all!!!!!   Whats the latests ETA on that?

0 Likes
asm_ny1

I received an email from Verizon Services this morning, which started with ....

"On Monday morning, October 1, 2012, Verizon experienced a service disruption that affected your email account.  You now are able to send and receive email normally and will continue to have access to your calendar and address book.  However, until the issue is resolved, it will not be possible to see any email sent or received along with any personal folders that you created prior to this service interruption.  We’re diligently working to recover any of your email and folders that cannot be seen at this time.

If you regularly use a POP email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo or Mac Mail you will not notice any adverse impact outside of the temporary inability earlier today to connect to your servers."

NO MENTION OF INBOUND MAIL DURING THE ~NINE(?)-HOUR OUTAGE. I sent myself a number of tests from other accounts, so know that emails weren't bouncing ... so where are they, and why is the question not being addressed?

0 Likes
mydogbuddy

Ok it is now 7:45am on Tuesday and still my old emails are not showing up.  What is going on?????

0 Likes
Emails lost only on main account
tdal1

After logging in this morning, I noticed that my historical emails were lost only in my main user account, not in my sub-account.  Will continue to follow Verizon's progress.  Thanks for the info.

0 Likes