Verizon email retrieval hangs in Thunderbird
MisterBill
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm trying to download my Verizon email using Thunderbird (latest v18 beta, I don't that being the issue, although anything is possible) and it is hanging at "downloading 1 of 3555". I typically let my mail accumulate on the Verizon server for a few weeks (I read it as it arrives using Mailwasher Pro), then download it to my machine. I've never had any problems downloading it before. I have tried turning off my Norton security, thinking maybe it was the AV protection getting in the way, but it still hangs. I logged into the server via Telnet and retrieved the first message and it looks fine (not spam or anything remotely questionable). Any idea why Thunderbird would hang retrieving the email? I've been doing it this way for years. Just for the hell of it I restarted Mailwasher and it was able to retrieve all of the mail. Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon email retrieval hangs in Thunderbird
MisterBill
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, for anyone else who may have this problem, I have a resolution. I tried installing Thunderbird on another machine and when I had it look up the server settings for Verizon, it set up an SSL/TLS secure connection at port 995 to the incoming POP server. I was using port 110. I changed it to use SSL/TLS and the port changed automatically to 995 and it seems to have resolved the problem (email is downloading).

Interestingly, Mailwasher Pro works fine at port 110, and when I try to change it to use SSL/TLS,  it can't connect to the server.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Verizon email retrieval hangs in Thunderbird
MisterBill
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, for anyone else who may have this problem, I have a resolution. I tried installing Thunderbird on another machine and when I had it look up the server settings for Verizon, it set up an SSL/TLS secure connection at port 995 to the incoming POP server. I was using port 110. I changed it to use SSL/TLS and the port changed automatically to 995 and it seems to have resolved the problem (email is downloading).

Interestingly, Mailwasher Pro works fine at port 110, and when I try to change it to use SSL/TLS,  it can't connect to the server.

0 Likes