Verizon rejecting all my pegasus outgoing email starting 8/1/14 am
apollos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two computers, using different versions of pegasus (one is 4.70), are having all outgoing messages rejected as of 8/1/14 about 9:30 am.  One computer has been working fine for about 5 years; the other, a new win7 desktop has been on-ling about 3 months.

Error message:500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authtication error)

Anyone else having this problem:?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon rejecting all my pegasus outgoing email starting 8/1/14 am
apollos
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Pegasys community has a solution that works with the latest version 4.70.

I quote from the post: "Not to belabor the point any longer, the fix… open the SMTP security tab, place a checkmark into the “Do not use CRAM-MD5 authentication even if it is advertised” "

This worked for my Win7 4.70 Pegasys

My older version doesn't have that control.

Seems to be in the same directions as your refences.

Thanks for joining in.

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints on-line.

And a plague on Verizon for making whatever change it made without some warning to its users.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Trident1
I've been having the same problem since the same date. I'm using a different POP3 client (PowerMail), but I get the same error message, and only with my Verizon e-mail addresses, not those using different SMTP servers. As in your case, webmail works, and so does my mobile device using my home WiFi. I made two calls to support, with the second lasting an hour and involving the tech support person remotely viewing my screen to confirm my settings were correct. My assessment was that Verizon is blocking certain e-mail clients; however I've seen another thread in this forum claiming that adding a certain configuration entry (SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5) can fix the problem. See the threads below: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/email-problem/td-p/723497 http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/problems-sending-email-what-authentication-is-needed/... I don't know yet if this will work for me or how to apply it, but it seems as though users of Pegasus Mail and Eudora have a functional fix. Good luck.
0 Likes
apollos
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Pegasys community has a solution that works with the latest version 4.70.

I quote from the post: "Not to belabor the point any longer, the fix… open the SMTP security tab, place a checkmark into the “Do not use CRAM-MD5 authentication even if it is advertised” "

This worked for my Win7 4.70 Pegasys

My older version doesn't have that control.

Seems to be in the same directions as your refences.

Thanks for joining in.

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints on-line.

And a plague on Verizon for making whatever change it made without some warning to its users.

0 Likes
Trident1

There is also good news for PowerMail users.  Searching the developer's forums and online manual via their website didn't help, but I eventually found this link to their site via a search engine:

http://www.ctmdev.com/powermail/manual/advanced_tips_tricks.html

Essentially, a command-line utility modifies an application default setting that is not accessible through the Preferences panel, as follows:

defaults write com.ctmdev.PowerMail "PreferCRAM-MD5" -bool NO

Verizon changed how the CRAM-MD5 method of SMTP authorization is handled on their servers without notifying anyone, and must have known customers would have problems.  My guess is that most complaints result in calls to support.  Perhaps eventually either the customers or the tech support folks will find these posts.

After a bit of rejoicing, I'm back to email as usual.

Grace and skill to those searching still.

0 Likes
User1131

Thanks, I was pulling my hair out over my Pegasus client.  My daughter's account (using MS Outlook) and my wife's account (using OSX Mail) were not affected at all.  What's up with that?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have moved away from allowing any the mechanism for in the clear access with passwords exchanges only being encyrpted (APOP CRAM-MD5 etc).  Instead they want you to use ssl/tls for the entire SMTP and POP mail exchange.  Not sure if they are making a mistake that indicates CRAM-MD5 is being advertised, or if this is a problem in Pegasus and Eudora, etc.

0 Likes
apollos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re TNS_2 post...

I searched the web for CRAM-MD5  and found several posts where companies were notifying e-mail users that their server would no longer be accepting messages with that [obsolete] form of authentication.

Verizon certainly was moving in the right direction, but did cause a lot of grief for a sub-set of their users.  It could have been avoided with a warning message, which they did countless times about port 25.

0 Likes