initiate migration to AOL Mail?
johnnyzero
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to this help page:

Starting February 2017, Verizon will no longer provide verizon.net email service. Instead they will focus on providing their internet, TV and phone customers the best experience possible. Verizon has teamed up with AOL to provide verizon.net email customers with AOL Mail, an enhanced email experience.

Further, it states that:

When it is time for you to move your verizon.net mail to AOL Mail, you will be notified by an email from Verizon and messaging on webmail.verizon.com.

Prior to last week, the page listed the anticipated rollout date as "February 15. 2017", but now it's been changed to "February 2017".

Is there an way that I can manually initiate the migration to AOL Mail? I'd like to utilize AOL Mail's IMAP support for this account, and I'm kinda getting tired of waiting.

1 Solution
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Email Retirement

Frequently asked questions

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/email/migrations.htm?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_DO_N_X00425

We have decided to close down our email business. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Try any other email provider” to complete the setup.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

403 Replies
jonjones1
Legend

This may assist you. https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-setting-up-your-new-aol-account-in-a-third-pa...

There is a link for pop3 email settings. As I said in the other forum post you could get a better email service (that is your decision) like GMail or Outlook Mail in which if you can get your poo mail settings correct you can set up the Verizon/AOL to be grabbed by the other two services.

my mother in law has road runner mail and it’s not reliable. I set her up with GMail and now her road runner/ Charter Spectrum email is always in her mailbox.

i even set a different color for her rr mail from her GMail.

Hopefully you like this reply. 🤨

0 Likes
wmhjr
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are absolutely correct in every respect.  My Verizon.Net email address is only one of my email accounts, but I've had it for 10 years.  Frankly, it's the only thing that has made me "sticky" to Verizon - given that it's just really a pain to completely move everything.  However, I've had outage after outage since the migration.  There was a complete outage that prevented ANY access this past Saturday through Sun evening.  Then intermittent outages yesterday.  Today, I can get to my mail only via webmail.  None of my devices can authenticate in through POP.  Calling support has been a complete and total waste of time.  There isn't even a way at the moment to change my password.  Quite frankly, I've decided that enough is enough.  I use Tivos for my TV viewing, so I don't care whatsoever about equipment.  I'm about to ditch Verizon Fios.  I don't care if picture quality might be slightly better, and if broadband might be slightly better.  I only need good enough, and as a new customer my rates will go down.  I'm tired of paying to allow Verizon effectively steal from me and treat me like crap.  If I have to completely migrate off of the verizon.net email address anyway, it just gave me a final reason to take ALL of my business to somebody else.

Angryuser1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have felt this way from the beginning of Verizon dumping their email customers.  Using AOL since it happened has not made me any happier.  I have started moving my email to another service.  Shame on Verizon.

AceMcHammer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon did a horrible disservice to it's internet customers dumping them on AOL. If you have internet service through Verizon why would Verizon not provide E Mail with that service? Doesn't Comcast provide E Mail for it's internet customers?

AOL is a terrible E Mail serivce. They make their revenue through either monthly subscriptions or through ad revenue from ads that pops up when you go to access your mail. When you go to AOL.Mail tons of CPU stressing video ads pop up practically freezing your PC. You bascially have to wait for all the advertising to load before you can even access your mail! It's really bad.

So then you say, just use a desktop E Mail client to fetch your mail from AOL like Microsoft Outlook. Which is exactly what I have been doing all along even before Verizon dumped AOL on me. But recently, there have been problems when fetching E Mail through Outlook or through other E Mail clients I have on my Linux machine. I keep getting security certificate errors and can't retreive or send mail. I suspect AOL does not like their "free account" E Mail users, like the ones Verizon dumped on them (us guys), using their free E Mail service and going around their ad displays via their desktop E Mail clients. Thanks Verizon. Now it seems I have to hunt for a new E Mail service and go one by one through all my tens of accounts out there that have my Verizon.net E Mail address set as my primary E Mail address, and even set as account user names, when a reliable E Mail service should very well be included with my Verizon Internet service.

Catch22CM

Can migration still be done to either Yahoo, AOL or whatever?

0 Likes
stevenroosa

I hear it's going to be cool.

0 Likes
hughj1

Can't imagine WANTING to go to AOL after reading some of these comments, YAHOO email works fine, at least for me.

0 Likes
twheels

How about if we are on Verizon/Yahoo and WANT to move to AOL?  Anything to get off of Yahoo, can we request that?  I kept waiting for a migration message now it seems I'm stuck with Yahoo?

0 Likes
noAOL

AOL is once again asking me to sign up for a $$$ service contract.  Is this a scam? Or, will Verizon stand behind what they originally requested from AOL and the Verizon customers?

0 Likes
JBoy53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay.  I heard months ago about migrating to AOL but nothing about remaining on Yahoo instead.  Not that I'm complaining, I gather there are some issues with AOL email.

Thanks for the reply.

John

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JBoy53 wrote:

Well, it's 1/16/2018 and I haven't received a notice to migrate.  I just read a FAQ that says since I didn't migrate to AOL by December 15 I am **bleep**.

Am I still supposed to be waiting or what?  HELP!  The online support chat service keeps saying it's busy and to try again later.  ?!?!?!

John

Note that if you are a Yahoo/Verizon email user then you are not migrating (at least as currently planned) and would not have received an email.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus
This issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent.
0 Likes
JBoy53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's 1/16/2018 and I haven't received a notice to migrate.  I just read a FAQ that says since I didn't migrate to AOL by December 15 I am **bleep**.

Am I still supposed to be waiting or what?  HELP!  The online support chat service keeps saying it's busy and to try again later.  ?!?!?!

John

0 Likes
PDDED1506

These  deleted all my files and stuck me with CRAPPY aol. Its the worst company and that is why I stopped using **bleep** AOL 15 years ago.
Why is it so hard to get  VERIZON  to send me a paper bill?

0 Likes
drshaw11271

@johnnyzero2 wrote:

So basically, I need to just keep waiting. Thanks.

No

0 Likes
njaau1

i use outlook 16 and it was working fine up until 12/5/17 now it stop sending and receiving I hate aol how do I get my outlook to start working again 

0 Likes
hughj1

If you had YAHOO mail through Verizon, you didn't have to switch; at least for now,.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@2002Retiree wrote:

Today is Nov. 30, 2017.

For several days in past week, I've had to change my password on verizon-yahoo mail, not knowing why.  After 1 hr, tech support gave me a backdoor access to see my mail.

I then started seeing information Verizon was discontinuing E-Mail, which was news to me.  I've never been notified of this.  I'm still not sure that changing my password daily had anything to do with the e-mail migration.  When will I be notified? I am not as sharp as I used to be and I hope it will be an easy transition.  As long as I can access my e-mail without going through the Verizon-Yahoo site, I'll while away my time.

The reason you didn't see the messages, is they allowed you to stay with Yahoo.  Yahoo and AOL are both Verizon companies.

0 Likes
2002Retiree

Today is Nov. 30, 2017.

For several days in past week, I've had to change my password on verizon-yahoo mail, not knowing why.  After 1 hr, tech support gave me a backdoor access to see my mail.

I then started seeing information Verizon was discontinuing E-Mail, which was news to me.  I've never been notified of this.  I'm still not sure that changing my password daily had anything to do with the e-mail migration.  When will I be notified? I am not as sharp as I used to be and I hope it will be an easy transition.  As long as I can access my e-mail without going through the Verizon-Yahoo site, I'll while away my time.

0 Likes
weincsw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still hoping the following will work with my xxxx@verizon.net Outlook email address.  Any thoughts on that?

Incoming POP3 server: pop.verizon.net

Port 995

SSL:Yes

Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.verizon.net

Port: 465

SSL: Yes

0 Likes
jack63ss
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been both an AOL and Verizon mail user for years, and have accounts on both. When the initial email about moving from verizon to AOL came out I was assured that I would not have to change my email address to aol.com, I could continue to use verizon.net. Is this going to change on 11/7 ? Fortunately the accounts have different usernames, so I guess I could change.

My issue is that right now I can NOT use smtp.aol.com to send email from my Verizon account, and in fact I can't send email using smtp.verizon.net either. I talked to Verizon/AOL Tech Support and it is because my From address is for my personal domain email address, NOT verizon.net or aol.com. Confused, so am I, since I can send email using smtp.gmail.com without any problems.

I just hope that after 11/7 my email accounts are still working or I guess I'll have to find a whole new internet provider. Oh, and if I find the previous email about tech support to be true I most certainly will be an ex-Verizon customer.

0 Likes