initiate migration to AOL Mail?
johnnyzero
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to this help page:

Starting February 2017, Verizon will no longer provide verizon.net email service. Instead they will focus on providing their internet, TV and phone customers the best experience possible. Verizon has teamed up with AOL to provide verizon.net email customers with AOL Mail, an enhanced email experience.

Further, it states that:

When it is time for you to move your verizon.net mail to AOL Mail, you will be notified by an email from Verizon and messaging on webmail.verizon.com.

Prior to last week, the page listed the anticipated rollout date as "February 15. 2017", but now it's been changed to "February 2017".

Is there an way that I can manually initiate the migration to AOL Mail? I'd like to utilize AOL Mail's IMAP support for this account, and I'm kinda getting tired of waiting.

1 Solution
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Email Retirement

Frequently asked questions

https://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/email/migrations.htm?CMP=DMC-CVZ_ZZ_ZZ_Z_DO_N_X00425

We have decided to close down our email business. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Try any other email provider” to complete the setup.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to let all of us know and click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

403 Replies
newarkreds78
Enthusiast - Level 1

i tired of aol pasword last 20 times. it not work. i upset. i want to my verizon e-mail back now. i am sick of aol trick password. i dont like aol e-mail.

thank you for your time. if you make sure of  your decision. if wrong direction. then I wont become no long e-mail.

understand, glen

bobbperrone
Enthusiast - Level 1

What the heck! I've been a customer well over ten years, I attmept to logonto my web mail and a message appears that Verizon will no longer offer email service!??!? You have a choice to reansfer to AOL (ewww) or svae your crap and use a differnt provider (Outlook.com, Gmail, etc.).

What the heack are we paying for? Will our bill go down since we no longer have email service? This is a royal pain in the you know what. Think I'll start looking for another ISP.

bobbperrone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ahhh..I get it now, with Verizon buying Yahoo (yuck) they'll use that horrible and insecure service as their cash cow....

NeverAOL
Enthusiast - Level 1

Who is the genius that decided TAX SEASON would be a fantastic time to swap email to AOL. Comunication with accountants, attorneys, etc. is enough of a PIA without this. Now I can't even setup a sub account with a verizon.net address, so I will have verizon.net and AOL email addresses. Some big school MBA probably came up with this disaster and he/she will probably be promoted and get a bonus.

Peanuts3
Enthusiast - Level 1

A friend of mine received an email message that Verizon email will no longer be accessible after April 5, 2017. Is this true?   See below:

Verizon will no longer be handling email.

Effective April 05, 2017, we'll no longer provide verizon.net email service. Other than this change, your Verizon service(s) won't be affected.

We have two options for you to consider below. Please review both options and take action today to avoid losing access to your email.

Choosing an option is easy.

Click here to sign into your verizon.net email account.
Simply select Keep verizon.net email address or Try any other email provider to complete the setup.

Option 1. Keep your current email address with AOL Mail.

By choosing this option you will:

Keep your verizon.net email address
Migrate to AOL Mail
Retain email, contacts and calendar(s) automatically

Option 2. Try any other email provider.

By choosing this option, you will:

No longer be able to use your current verizon.net email address
Establish an account with a mail provider of your choosing like Outlook.com or Gmail
Manually move your email, contacts and calendar(s)

To confirm this message is valid, visit verizon.com and select Announcements under the Tools section at the bottom of the page.

Have questions? More information can be found at verizon.com/Email.

Take action by April 05, 2017 or you'll lose access to your verizon.net
email account

© 2017 Verizon. All Rights Reserved.

0 Likes
farandaway

I have not yet received an email from Verizon about the transition to AOL.  Is there a schedule, or final migration/shutdown date?  If I don't receive an email about AOL from Verizon, can I start the migration myself? 

Right now, I am using the Verizon Yahoo portal and use Yahoo/Verizon POP3 settings.

Thank you.

0 Likes
zed533u

My block hasn't come up yet but I have friends who are having similar problems with the similar run arounds.  all the experts that are trying to help take your level of expertise much higher than it is.  I know I'm going to have the same problemd especially when ive had to do operations like this about 3 times in the last twenty years.

0 Likes
CharlesI

It is true. Verizon is canceling its email service in our area area by area. 

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Peanuts:

Yes I received the same message and completed the migration successfully 

3/6/17

My Location: Bergen County NJ

0 Likes
MsSusan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I rec'd the msg. also and chose to keep verizon.net and use AOL but the links provided in the msg did not bring up any AOL instructions.

When you did the migration did it give you settings for AOL?

0 Likes
nomail757

I also received message with no link to sign up. After signing into my webmail, I chose option and nothing happened... went right to my webmail account as usual. AOLsignup page link not there. Verizon needs to resend message with an active link.

0 Likes
The_Mustang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anyone know if this impacts the yahoo.verizon accounts?

0 Likes
The_Mustang
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in the same boat. haven't heard or seen anything that may affect yahoo.verizon.

0 Likes
Flyerguy90
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got my notification in the mail.  Deadline April 10th.

So now, because you can't figure out a way to offload simple legacy storage from your precious servers (because storage is so dang expensive these days), we as Verizon customers have to give up the comfortable and hassle free email we've enjoyed for years (and in some cases used as a reason to RETAIN your services over other competing co's like Comcast), we now have to just ditch all of that and make use of the lowest form of adverstising and spam-infested virus collection sites known as web-based email.

I haven't gotten a spam email in over 3 years with this service and the very simple and easy to organize Windows Live Mail program on my desktop.  Now, I will be forced to use some skeevy hotmail or aol browser based service that will give me 10-20 useless items a day that must be managed.  Fantastic.

This is just extremely disappointing.  Really, really bad idea, Verizon.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually, if you choose to migrate to AOL.com.  You can keep everything exactly the same EXCEPT the Web interface.

0 Likes
abnormalbooks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can not BELIEVE that you are forcing us back to the '80s for our email.  I haven't used AOL email since forever.  So from Outlook to AOL; what a downgrade.  I have not been all that impressed with Verizon services-to-cost ratio for a long time and now you are providing even less service.

Very disappointed again.  And AOL?  Really?  Sad.  But I bet YOU ALL save a lot of $.   I also bet your customers will not see any of that savings.  The American Way is alive and thriving at Verizon.  Long may you reign! 

AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

I'm sorry, this thread should NOT be marked as solved.

LearyinSC

Does anyone know the answer to this one: Besides a Verizon In-Box, I have TONS of verizon.net email stored in various topical folders under my gmail account. Will those messages be safe and remain as they are inside those gmail folders or will they migrate or will they be irretrevable after I migrate my verizon In-Box???

Thx.

0 Likes
dave_NOVA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a Verizon customer in Fairfax, VA and use the Verizon Yahoo mail. Are Verizon Yahoo users being changed over to AOL? I don't think I have received an official email notification to switch, but it may have been deleted.

0 Likes
CutomerService
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's just amateur hour with you guys all the time and there's never any possibility of actually troubleshooting a problem with a person.  When you post something, as strange as it sounds,  customers actually expect it to be accurate.

Verizon  simply does not qive a **bleep** about it's customers.  I can't wait until the kids move out and I can change service providers.

edduden

I am very glad that I can keep the Verizon domain. I have too much at stake.

Edduden

0 Likes